This forum will be closing down. Please move to the respective dedicated project forums.

Extend sprite class on external js

Arlefreak

I'm trying to extend an object to the sprite class in my game.js I know this is achived with:

MonsterBunny.prototype = Object.create(Phaser.Sprite.prototype);MonsterBunny.prototype.constructor = MonsterBunny;

But in the structure that is in the examples I'm not sure where to put it, I have it like this:

BasicGame.Game.prototype = {	MonsterBunny : function(game, rotateSpeed) {			/*some code*/	},	Box : function(game, rotateSpeed) {		/*some code*/	},    create: function () {    },    update: function () {	}};		/* I don't know where do I need to put this */	/*===========================================================*/		MonsterBunny.prototype = Object.create(Phaser.Sprite.prototype);	MonsterBunny.prototype.constructor = MonsterBunny;	MonsterBunny.prototype.update = function() {		//  Automatically called by World.update		this.angle += this.rotateSpeed;	};	/*===========================================================*/

I know this is more a JS (noob) question, but i couldn't find a solution, so help would be appreciated

the short answer is "wherever you want". but the typical pattern is:

// define the "class" constructorMyModule.MyClass = function( some_args ) {    // set some properties    this.foo = 'bar';};// set-up the "class" to inherit from 'SomeBaseClass'MyModule.MyClass.prototype = Object.create( SomeBaseClass.prototype );// re-set the constructor (so it's not just an alias for 'SomeBaseClass')MyModule.MyClass.prototype.constructor = MyModule.MyClass;

you typically keep that code all in the same place, both for readability and to keep bugs out

• 3 weeks later...

I think I am having a similar issue and would highly appresiate anyone that can shed some light on it.

Is it possible to add "update" to the prototype chain of myObject() ?

I have tryed all sorts of different incantations with no luck. I am able to extend Sprite like in the examples and access update, but I want control over it in my inheritance.

As I am just starting out with js, I may not be frasing things correctly. But I am serious about learning more.

Here is what I would like to do. Hope it makes sence:

function EmitObj(){}EmitObj.prototype.emit = function(){};EmitObj.prototype.emX = function(cndX){};EmitObj.prototype.emY = function(cndY){};function SubEmit(){  EmitObj.call(this);}SubEmit.prototype = Object.create(EmitObj.prototype);SubEmit.prototype.constructor = SubEmit;SubEmit.prototype.subUp = function(){};// wrong implementation...any thoughts?SubEmit.prototype.update = function(){    //console.log(this.xem);}