Is there a support for Gradeint Alpha in Babylon.js using *.png ?

Ariel Yust

I have this image:

post-5734-0-79625700-1387097259.png

you can notice it has a gradient alpha inside, made in PS

I want it to look like this in my project:

post-5734-0-92215000-1387097214.png

I made this example using PS

I'm using HasAlpha=true;

and getting this instead:

post-5734-0-22668400-1387097214.png

it's like it can't read the gradient alpha and translates it to solid color, as you can see in the bottom he draws some artifacts.

weird stuff, am I doing something wrong ? is there a solution ? will there be any solution ?

note: this is a *mirror* object, because I have max 8 of it I don't create a normal mirror using the mirror texture.

Thanks!

post-5734-0-22668400-1387097214.png

post-5734-0-92215000-1387097214.png

post-5734-0-79625700-1387097259.png

Hey can you give an example ? tried the above and it didn't work ?

var Materials=[];Materials.push(loadTexture("gfx/GraphSquare.png", true, true));        function loadTexture(fileName, backFaceCulling, hasAlpha) {        var m = new BABYLON.StandardMaterial(fileName, scene);        var texture = new BABYLON.Texture(fileName, scene);        texture.anisotropicFilteringLevel = 0;        m.opacityTexture = texture;  // <-- Crashes here        //m.diffuseTexture = texture;        m.backFaceCulling = backFaceCulling;        //m.diffuseTexture.hasAlpha = hasAlpha;        return m;    }

when you mean set mt Texture into opacityTexture do you mean creating black and white gradient and loading it as another texture into opacityTexture ?

Materials.push(loadTexture("gfx/CategoryMirror.png", true, true, "gfx/CategoryMirrorOpacity.png"));    function loadTexture(fileName, backFaceCulling, hasAlpha, opacityPath) {        var m = new BABYLON.StandardMaterial(fileName, scene);        var texture = new BABYLON.Texture(fileName, scene);        texture.anisotropicFilteringLevel = 0;        if (opacityMaterial != null) {            m.opacityTexture = new BABYLON.Texture(opacityPath, scene);        }        m.diffuseTexture = texture;        m.backFaceCulling = backFaceCulling;        m.diffuseTexture.hasAlpha = hasAlpha;        return m;    }

As you can see both files have the same size

what I see is just the CategoryMirror.png withou alpha at all... the edges that need to be transparent are in cyan color  :mellow:  WIERD....  :ph34r:

Am I doing this right ?

post-5734-0-03612300-1387183781.png

post-5734-0-30645000-1387183787.png

So it works? :)

Yes id does, Thank you!

And BTW yes, if you use OpacityTexture you cannot set useAlpha to true because there are opposite (useAlpha means alpha testing and opacitytexture implies alpha blending)

Thanks for telling me that now  :lol: I figured it out by my self, actually the opacity looks better then HasAlpha, so I guess I'll be using it for awhile (I know it cost resources)

anyway thanks and I'm back to programming *click click click*

Found a new interesting problem, might be a juicy bug  B)

here are two files, one is the OpacityTexture of the other...

I'm using css style "background-image:" tag with z-index lower then canvas for the background image,

so the rest of the babylon.js project has transparent background to it...

I'v noticed that if an object with a material that have OpacityTexture moves on that canvas, and behind it there's nothing (aka no visible object), then it becomes half transparent or something~! then when it moves above an object that doesn't have OpacityTexture it appears normal~!

now I thought it might be something to do with lighting but I double checked at it doesn't ~!

I'v created OpacityTexture to all of my objects, and now they are all appear cyan/blue half transparent.

but when I disable OpacityTexture to the most far object from the camera then, the rest are still in transparent mode until they move or stand still above that most far object which in this case is using the image below (category.png).

Hope I explained the issue correctly :ph34r:

got any way to fix that ?

post-5734-0-43705000-1387724540.png

post-5734-0-84517300-1387724556.png

Here you go,

post-5734-0-07824400-1387782493.png

Upper half shows an example when there is an object in background without TextureOpacity, and the colorful

icons move in front of it, you can clearly see that they are transparent in the places where they do not touch him, aka the transparent canvas background.

Lower half shows an example where even the objects in the background have their own TextureOpacity, everyone gets to be transparent...

var Materials = [];Materials.push(loadTexture("gfx/Card001.png", true, false, "gfx/CardOpacity.png"));function loadTexture(fileName, backFaceCulling, hasAlpha, opacityPath) {        var m = new BABYLON.StandardMaterial(fileName, scene);        var texture = new BABYLON.Texture(fileName, scene);        //texture.anisotropicFilteringLevel = 0;        if (opacityPath != null) {            m.opacityTexture = new BABYLON.Texture(opacityPath, scene);        }        m.diffuseTexture = texture;        m.backFaceCulling = backFaceCulling;        m.diffuseTexture.hasAlpha = hasAlpha;        return m;    }

That's the light I'm using, btw 

light.excludedMeshes

Doesn't seem to work, it crashes when I push Meshes inside...

I don't need lighting on my objects because it's a 3D UI and a Prototype  B)

var light = new BABYLON.HemisphericLight("Hemi0", new BABYLON.Vector3(0, 1, 0), scene);    light.diffuse = new BABYLON.Color3(1, 1, 1);    light.specular = new BABYLON.Color3(0.4, 0.4, 0.4);    light.groundColor = new BABYLON.Color3(1, 1, 1);

post-5734-0-07824400-1387782493.png

What error do you get when trying to use the excludedMeshes?

BTW, I'm afraid that the transparency behavior is "normal": the canvas supports transparency blending with its background and when you wrote a transparent object into it, it will use the alpha value for its own alpha blending

This only fix I can propose is to use nothing under the canvas or use a fullscreen quad to remove alpha values

I can't move the quad to be in front of the screen all the time, when I update it in the animation loop

it takes like several mil seconds for the quad to update it's position and angle...

there must be another way for this to work...

the HasAlpha crops the images and leaves pixelated edges, which look ugly!

so using opacity texture is something small you could do to make the edges smoother and nice like in Photoshop

Not using this feature to make gfx look normal, it ruins the whole purpose, I mean this feature is a must...

if the canvas is transparent then it should use the background colors for the transparency, not the same canvas's colors

but the object behind it in the screen, if something like that can't be supported

then is there a way to create a static background image to stretch to the screen size ? as if an image is in the background ?

I give you an example - what will happen if I want to show lets say a 3D item spin in a menu and I put it in a new canvas in front of my main canvas... the opacity textures will make it look transparent and weird, so it means we will have to use only HasAlpha...

anyway my point is I need a solution... do you have any ?

Thanks for the help!

• 1 month later...

Hey...

Sorry for taking so long, I had life troubles...

in any case here I uploaded the example as promised, I hope you understand the problem =]

btw: I'm using the latest babylon.js version 1.9.0 don't forget to add it :P

and change *.txt to *.js

The problem is that the Blue image looks cyan because I'm using Opacity map to smooth the texture's edges

it receives it's original color when it's behind the Red image, which has no Opacity Map.

You will see why this is wrong I made it animate for ya =]

Thanks & Good Luck

main.html

post-5734-0-21600400-1392647757.png

post-5734-0-76170500-1392647758.png

post-5734-0-40693200-1392647759.png

mainTutos.txt

scene_tuto.txt

hands.txt

Hello Ariel, 

I retrieved your project and I don't have any errors with the latest minified babylonjs, as you can see here : https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/17799537/test/main.html

It should be an error in your babylon file stored locally. Can you please try again with the last version of babylon ? Here is the version I used in this test folder : https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/17799537/test/babylon.1.9.0.js

Please try to "Save as" instead of copy-pasting.