RayCasting

bser

Hello. We are trying to figure out how to do a Raycast from the camera, in order for a user to look at a mesh and be able to modify it. For example if we want a wall mesh to change into a heart mesh, we would want the user to look at the wall and it will change it to a heart mesh. How are you able to create this functionality? 

Hi there... one quick way to do this is using observables... like so:

scene.onPointerObservable.add (function(evt) {
        var pi = evt.pickInfo;
    },BABYLON.PointerEventTypes.POINTERDOWN);

The pickInfo of the event contains a lot of information about the event (PickInfo)

You could also use scene.pick(), which takes X,Y coords you can grab from a standard mousedown event from addEventListener.

Thank you for your response. It does work when you click on something, but how can you do it when you just move the mouse on top of a mesh without clicking. I tried POINTERMOVE, but I just get null for most things.

• 6 months later...

@bser I wanted to do the same thing, and came up with this demo.

http://www.babylonjs-playground.com/#1A7ZCT#4

The scene displays 4 spheres and continually creates rays using Ray.CreateNewFromTo()  from the camera's current position to a target (0,0,0).  If a ray intersects a sphere, a decal is drawn on the sphere.  We detect the intersection using scene.multiPickWithRay().  If multiple meshes are found, we choose the one that is closest to the camera.