Why scene.pickInfo(...).pickedMesh is not working, when camera.maxZ is very large number?

Vesmy

I need to create very large scene (there are meshes with size 10, but also with 10^6). It requires set:

camera.maxZ = Math.pow(10, 10)

But then is not working pickedMesh (pickedMesh is always null):

scene.pick(scene.pointerX, scene.pointerY).pickedMesh

Is there any way to use very large camera visibility with functional pickedMeshHere is demo.

good question.  I tried your PG with a couple of changes to see if it would make a difference, but it didn't:
http://www.babylonjs-playground.com/indexstable#M5Z1R9#2

It works till distance 3350000 and not at 3360000, although not very accurate at that distance.  I have noticed this before with BABYLON.Ray(), which defaults to 100.  I wonder if it is some optimisation, but I can't find it.

We are hitting a math limitation here

I would highly suggest to create your scene with smaller number and just apply a function to move from the 3d representation to the data world

For instance if in your simulation a mesh has to be a 10^7 then just consider that it will be at 10^3 so the function to move from one world to another is x / 10^4

@Deltakosh Thanks for answer, but I have another problem with this. I need render our galaxy Milky Way and our planet Earth abreast. Milky Way has diameter 100 000 light years (it's 946 100 000 000 000 000 km), and Earth has diameter 12 756 km.

So, when Milky Way is 10^5 Babylon's size-units long, my function is x / 10^14. Then Earth must have 10^(-9) Babylon's size-units. Unfortunately, Earth is not visible (even if I zoom it), and if I set:

camera.minZ = Math.pow(10, -9)

there is same problem as when I set big maxZ - pointer events are not called on mesh.

Any idea how to do this?