Some Questions about VideoTexture and 360

dsman

I have some questions about videoTexture and 360.

1. Is there any off-the-shelf way to use cubemap video for 360? If not, can we map a video containing 6 faces to Cube mesh with UV like we do in case of simple Image texture?

2. Does VideoTexture support HLS/Mpeg-DASH/MicrosoftSmoothStreaming and their adaptive bit rate features?

3. Is it practical to stream 6 faces separately and apply them as videoTextures on six faces of a cube? And Sync them with VideoDOM element's controls (and Streaming protocol's manifests)?

@Deltakosh   I checked the 360VideoDome earlier. But it mentions video must be equirectangular. I think when you said "we definitely have it", you mean one can use equirectangular video projection on a cube. 

What I am wondering is if a cubemap formatted video (6 faces arranged in a certain way) can be projected on a cube. If not off-the-shelf, is UV mapping also supported for VideoTexture?

Equirectangular mapping is not the best option for live 360 videos because it may require 10Mbps download speed for reasonable quality video (4K). 

Ok gotcha..So yes if it is not an equirectangular then you have to play with UV

and yes videoTexture supports UV mapping like any other texture :)

I'll be interested to integrate your work if you are ok as I guess that other people could be interested by similar approach

9 hours ago, dsman said:

Equirectangular mapping is not the best option for live 360 videos because it may require 10Mbps download speed for reasonable quality video (4K). 

I think it depends on various factors such as - what your source materials is and how you prepare your files server side. You can cut an equirectangular image exactly in 6 "faces", check your user view direction and start streaming only for a particular UV.

http://www.babylonjs-playground.com/#WZKPXM