[WIP] Glidey Cat - A Totally Original Flappy Bird Clone (Phaser)

Remixz

http://zachbruggeman.me/glidey-cat/

Yes, this is intended to be satirical. The story behind this is that my friends and I have been annoyed with how the mobile game market has developed into a pay-to-win market, full of poorly made knock-offs trying to make a quick buck, while adding poorly made "original" features. So, we made our own! There's a lot of purposely bad game design, so take it with a grain of salt. It's still WIP, since we want to add more power ups and other features, but it has everything we wanted initially.

This is my first time making a game, so the source (https://github.com/remixz/glidey-cat) is very ugly. Phaser was an awesome engine to work with though!

jDmxdGt.png bM58y6n.png9JsqlxZ.png

I really love the art !

I just find that sometimes I collided with the floor, and it get pushed to the right.

When I didn't want this feature in my game I used to replace the collision method by overlap.

The pipe hitboxes are quite hard to guess. Anyway first game !

Thanks for the feedback! The art is not ours, it's from Glitch, which after they shut down released all of it to the public domain.

The floor moving to the right was something I had noticed, but didn't realize collision would fix that. I left it as overlap since I thought it was funnier for the cat to fall off the screen. I'll change it to collision though, thanks!

The pipe hitboxes should be wrapped around them correctly, same with the cat as well. I found that people didn't think the tail was something that would collide, but it's possible it's not perfect collision either. I think it adds to the charm of a game that makes fun of game clones.

cubiq, apparently, you didn't follow the news recently.

This come from a game name Flappy Bird which was first on the app store for a little while.

It made the buzz, so medias spoke about it, people discovered more and more the game which was reputated to be really hard but with a simple gameplay in the same time.

The creator of the game couldn't handle more of this buzz and removed the game from all the store.

Now lots of flappy clone born in "tribute" to this, even an online flapy bird game jam. And maybe in extention as a criticism of all the app store clones which try to take the money from this niche by making exact same game and just changing the asset.

But just search Flappy Bird on google, it should tell you everything about it.

Hope it answered to your quesion :)

cubiq, apparently, you didn't follow the news recently.

This come from a game name Flappy Bird which was first on the app store for a little while.

It made the buzz, so medias spoke about it, people discovered more and more the game which was reputated to be really hard but with a simple gameplay in the same time.

actually I know the story about Flappy Bird... I still don't understand all the buzz :) but it must be me :D

I mean... it's not the first "tap to float" game around