Audio Cannot Mute if load video file and use Hardware Mute on IOS?

farhan

Nope, IOS 8 and 9 are just too old. In addition, there is no way that I know of to get the hardware mute status on iPhone for html/canvas games unless you are making native apps/games. Perhaps Apple can answer this question BUT they have addressed this issue on newer devices/IOS. People who still uses IOS 8 and 9 have to live with it ? It is not the end of the world just because you cannot mute it using hardware mute. Right now, it is already at IOS 11 which works great, and in the next year or 2, IOS 8 and/or 9 will be gone by then. I can't wait ?

On 9/12/2018 at 5:58 AM, antifuzz said:

@farhan Did you find any solution for this? We're having the same issue where the mute switch stops being respected as soon as we play a video.

If you are talking about latest IOS, the only solution is to separate audio track from the video. Make sure the video has no audio track and then just play audio and video at the same time. And for checking on end video, use on audio end to continue because for some reason on IOS devices, it cannot detect when the video is over when the video has no audio track, at least the is an issue I encountered.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks @farhan

Actually we're getting the issue on iOS11 and 12. We're not testing on older versions. 

I'm not worried about the video itself not respecting the ringer switch as that's expected behaviour. The problem is that even after the video has finished playing, all other sounds that we play disrespect the ringer switch. It's like playing a video breaks something that doesn't get reset until you quit and relaunch the app.

You say that iOS11 works great... but it's not working at all for us when a video plays. Is there anything special you're doing to get it to work?

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/8/2018 at 12:20 PM, antifuzz said:

Thanks @farhan

Actually we're getting the issue on iOS11 and 12. We're not testing on older versions. 

I'm not worried about the video itself not respecting the ringer switch as that's expected behaviour. The problem is that even after the video has finished playing, all other sounds that we play disrespect the ringer switch. It's like playing a video breaks something that doesn't get reset until you quit and relaunch the app.

You say that iOS11 works great... but it's not working at all for us when a video plays. Is there anything special you're doing to get it to work?

Not sure what the issue you are having but, the only thing I did was separating audio track from video and play them separately. The video file won't have audio track. And then, I check on audio ends to continue and do other stuff since when the video has no audio and it will never trigger on the on video end event.