Basic 2D Context and Platformer

pdiddles03

I've been dabbling in a platform lately called Pico8.  The resolution of it is 128 x 128 and it seems to run just fine in web.  It got me thinking, is WebGL necessary for a game that is 240x136, and scaled up via CSS?   so far the performance i get seems just fine.  Obviously WebGL is superior. But for a basic platformer game that is pretty tiny, is it something i need?

That's a good question. I have the impression that many people plunge into WebGL because it's the thing to do, without considering whether they really need it. They then present themselves with a steep learning curve which may well put them off the whole thing.

If you go to my home page, grelf.net, you will find links to several programs written in plain HTML5/JavaScript. They use the 2D canvas API and no external libraries or frameworks (not even jQuery).

My examples all use canvasses much larger than the 240x136 that you are contemplating. I am happy with their performance. Indeed I am impressed by how fast current browsers run such programs on all devices I have tried, even on phones.