anyone with experience publishing to the iOS app store?

SimNerd

For game developers, what is the bare minimum that we should expect to put into the UI in order to pass the human interface guidelines?

I have struggled to answer this question for myself after reading some of the relevant Apple docs. The docs seem to be oriented toward productivity app developers and pretty vague in general.

Other than the status bar, what native UI elements are expected to be in the app?

Are there any visible controls/buttons that are required to be visible in the app?

For example, does the game need a visible exit button? Other visible controls? Should this be implemented with a navigation bar?

I'm not trying to just skate under the wire, but I would like to have a point of reference regarding what is absolutely necessary so that I can make an appropriate solution.

If you'd like to know where I'm coming from, I'm trying to spruce this app up for the iOS store:

http://simnerd.com/drop-four.html

I understand that it might have other problems (besides the UI), but that's okay, as I am pretty sure I can figure out any of the other reasons for rejection they might throw at me.

Thanks for your time.