suggestions on whole infrastructure

renathy

I have now my Phaser game locally. Currently it is just pure html/js (without any webpacks, nodejs and similar staff). However, I think that this is not preferably way. Moreover, I need to extend the webpage by adding login to website functionality and also configs for the game (like user settings, saved game data and similar should be loaded from database, preferably using PHP). There is Apache on server we use.

So what could be suggested infrastructure for this?

BACKEND. Pure php vs framework? Should I use some PHP framework or live with pure php if I need only features from backend like login / get some user data / some routing things maybe, maybe not. At some point I would need login via Facebook.

FRONTEND. Are you using some front end frameworks also in your webpages with games, I mean like vue or similar - or you just write pure html/js by hand?

OTHER. Are you using webpack (never used it) to make js files more organised / bundles etc.?

• 1 month later...

I'm still so new to game dev, but hand cranking HTML for any website is torture in the long term. 

Using something like create-react-app is great if you can get behind the learning curve, or just use Parcel bundler for lightweight deployments.

The benefit of going with a bundler like Parcel or Webpack is extended support for typescript and ES6+ features.

This may be bias cause I'm a JS dev, but for HTML5 frontend stuff, Node and Javascript are all you need for client-side games.

I found the YouTube series by OurCade to be particularly good!