Animations adding error in extended Sprite

ManBoy

Hi, I'm having a problem adding animation to extended Sprite in 2.0

This doesn't work: 

Player = function (game,x,y){	Phaser.Sprite.call(this,game,x,y,'GameAtlas','Player_Idle-0001.png');	game.physics.enable(this, Phaser.Physics.ARCADE);	this.animations.add('Idle',Phaser.Animation.generateFrameNames('Player_Idle-', 1, 18, '.png', 4),6,true);};Player.prototype = Object.create(Phaser.Sprite.prototype);Player.prototype.constructor = Player;player = new Player(game,game.world.centerX,game.world.height - 120);game.add.existing(player);//player.animations.add('Idle',Phaser.Animation.generateFrameNames('Player_Idle-', 1, 18, '.png', 4),6,true);player.animations.play('idle');

This works:

player = game.add.sprite(game.world.centerX,game.world.height-120,'GameAtlas','Player_Idle-0001.png');player.animations.add('Idle',Phaser.Animation.generateFrameNames('Player_Idle-', 1, 18, '.png', 4),6,true);player.animations.play('Idle');

This is the error message:

1. Uncaught TypeError: Cannot call method 'add' of undefined phaser.js:37547
    1. Phaser.Animationphaser.js:37547
    2. Phaser.AnimationManager.addphaser.js:37082
    3. createGameObjectsGamePlay.js:39
    4. GamePlay.createGamePlay.js:13
    5. Phaser.StateManager.loadCompletephaser.js:13673
    6. Phaser.StateManager.preUpdatephaser.js:13542
    7. Phaser.Game.updatephaser.js:18604
    8. Phaser.RequestAnimationFrame.updateRAFphaser.js:32271

It says the game.onPause and game.onResume are undefined

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

To solve this you only have to put at the top of player file 'use strict'.

The code of the first post will be like this:

'use strict'; // without this the animation.add will not workPlayer = function (game,x,y){	Phaser.Sprite.call(this,game,x,y,'GameAtlas','Player_Idle-0001.png');	game.physics.enable(this, Phaser.Physics.ARCADE);	this.animations.add('Idle',Phaser.Animation.generateFrameNames('Player_Idle-', 1, 18, '.png', 4),6,true);};Player.prototype = Object.create(Phaser.Sprite.prototype);Player.prototype.constructor = Player;player = new Player(game,game.world.centerX,game.world.height - 120);game.add.existing(player);//player.animations.add('Idle',Phaser.Animation.generateFrameNames('Player_Idle-', 1, 18, '.png', 4),6,true);player.animations.play('idle');

• 3 months later...

To solve this you only have to put at the top of player file 'use strict'.

The code of the first post will be like this:

'use strict'; // without this the animation.add will not workPlayer = function (game,x,y){	Phaser.Sprite.call(this,game,x,y,'GameAtlas','Player_Idle-0001.png');	game.physics.enable(this, Phaser.Physics.ARCADE);	this.animations.add('Idle',Phaser.Animation.generateFrameNames('Player_Idle-', 1, 18, '.png', 4),6,true);};Player.prototype = Object.create(Phaser.Sprite.prototype);Player.prototype.constructor = Player;player = new Player(game,game.world.centerX,game.world.height - 120);game.add.existing(player);//player.animations.add('Idle',Phaser.Animation.generateFrameNames('Player_Idle-', 1, 18, '.png', 4),6,true);player.animations.play('idle');

This solution does not work for me. 

Here is my player file : 

var Player = function(game, x, y){        Phaser.Sprite.call(this, game, x, y, 'chicken');        this.game.physics.enable(this, Phaser.Physics.ARCADE);    this.maxVelocityX = 200;    this.maxVelocityY = 600;    this.minHealth = 1;    this.health = 10;    this.hittingEnemy = false;        this.smoothed = false;    this.body.gravity.y = 978;    this.body.collideWorldBounds = true;    this.anchor.setTo(0.5,0.5);    this.body.setSize(64, 100, 25, 6);        this.animations.add('stand', [13,14,15,16,17,18,17,16,15,14], 6, true);    this.animations.add('walk', [0,1,2,3,4,3,2,1,0,13,5,6,7,8,9,8,7,6,5,13], 24, true);    this.animations.add('jump', [10,11,12,11], 24, true);        this.game.add.existing(this);    };Player.prototype = Object.create(Phaser.Sprite.prototype);Player.prototype.constructor = Player;

Still have this strange "Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read property 'add' of undefined" error, except when I comment lines 18 to 20. Any ideas ? 

Thanks

Hmm. I've just tried copying and pasting your code into one of my projects using 2.1.1 and it's working as expected - or at least the AnimationManager object is available on this.animations, though it errors because the asset is missing and so it can't create the frames. Whereabout are you trying to instantiate the Player object? I can only assume you're trying to do it at a point where Phaser hasn't finished booting maybe?

Hi @lewster32 I am getting the same error. 

How or when would be the correct time to instantiate the objec?

In my index file I have this:

<!DOCTYPE HTML><html> <head><title>HypoTrip</title><script src="phaser.min.js"></script><script src="Boot.js"></script><script src="Preloader.js"></script><script src="MainMenu.js"></script>     <script src="Bird.js"></script> <script src="Game.js"></script></head><body><body style="background:#000000"><div id="gameContainer"></div><div id="orientation"></div>    <script type="text/javascript">(function () {// Create your Phaser game and inject it into the game div.// We did it in a window.onload event, but you can do it anywhere (requireJS load, anonymous function, jQuery dom ready, - whatever floats your boat)// We're using a game size of 1024 x 768 here, but you can use whatever you feel makes sense for your game of course.var game = new Phaser.Game(480, 320, Phaser.AUTO, 'gameContainer');// Add the States your game has.// You don't have to do this in the html, it could be done in your Boot state too, but for simplicity I'll keep it here.game.state.add('Boot', BasicGame.Boot);    game.state.add('Preloader', BasicGame.Preloader);    game.state.add('MainMenu', BasicGame.MainMenu);       game.state.add('Game', BasicGame.Game);        game.state.start('Boot');})();</script></body></html> 

and then when I try to instatiate the object Bird I get the error.

I thought all the assets where already loaded in the preloader state...

Thank you.

Sure. Sorry I couldnt answer sooner.

This is the code I use for the extended sprite:

Bird = function (game, x, y, frame) {Phaser.Sprite.call(this, game, x, y, 'bird',frame);this.animations.add('fly');this.animations.play('fly',12, true);};Bird.prototype = Object.create(Phaser.Sprite.prototype);Bird.prototype.constructor = Bird;

This how it is instantiated:

this.bird1 = new Bird(this, 100, 300);this.bird1.anchor.setTo(0.5, 0.5);this.add.existing(this.bird1);

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...