this.game.time.events.add(Phaser.Timer.SECOND * 1, this.flash, this);
      }
    },

flash: function () {
        this.shadow.clear();
           this.shadow.beginFill(0xFFFFFF, this.shadowAlpha);

}

};

And I get the following error "Uncaught TypeError: Cannot call method 'clear' of undefined".
Any ideas?

Thank you

Graphics is completely different than canvas drawing. 

You'll want to do something like the following:

BasicGame.Game = function (game) {   this.shadow;  this.doflash;  }; BasicGame.Game.prototype = {     create: function () {        this.shadow = this.game.add.bitmapData(this.game.width, this.game.height);       this.background = this.game.add.sprite(0,0, this.shadow);       this.doflash = true;     },     update: function () {       if(doflash) {          doflash = true;          this.game.time.events.add(Phaser.Timer.SECOND * 1, this.flash, this);      }    },     flash: function () {        this.shadow.clear();        this.shadow.ctx.rect(0, 0, this.game.width, this.game.height);        this.shadow.ctx.fillStyle = 'white';        this.shadow.ctx.fill();        this.shadow.render();        this.shadow.refreshBuffer();    } };

What this is doing is:

It's using a bitmapData (this.shadow) for the texture of the newly created background sprite. Each time flash() is called, it clear's the bitmapData's context, draws a large white square, renders it, and refreshes the buffer so the sprite will use the new texture.

I can't see why shadow would be undefined in the flash call from the code you posted.

What line number is the error coming from? Does it match the one you have in the flash function?

Have you put a break point in the flash function to see what 'this' actually is at that point?