WIN £6k internship by coding game to help change democracy!

I’m not going to pull any punches, I need help and fast!

I've just launched YOURvoice http://yourvoiceparty.org.uk to stand for seats in the European Elections in just 5 weeks from now. It's revolutionising democracy in the UK by allowing the registered electorate to vote via the Internet on how they'd like YOURvoice politicians to represent them. Basically, we’ll package up legislation into a more understandable form (YouTube video etc) and provide you with the facts on both sides of the argument. Then you get a chance to discuss / debate the issues online before being polled for your opinion as to how YOURvoice MEPs should represent you in the European Parliament. Simple really – you get to directly influence the course of European Parliamentary legislation (direct democracy) rather than leaving the decision making to the politicians alone.

I suspect you’re probably thinking “what’s this got to do with HTML5 games”?

With YOURvoice being a new party needing to make a huge impact (approximately 200k votes per seat in the UK South East region) and only 5 weeks to do it in, it’s obvious that we’re going to have to have a few tricks up our sleeves. I believe that one of those could be to use HTML5 games that would hopefully generate enough interest to go viral. Being a jack of all trades and master of none and with no spare time, I’ve realised that I won’t be able to do this on my own. I was able to produce the attached Whack-a-Mole clone https://googledrive.com/host/0BwM9zvOMp5FAQjFaR1g2MXg4OEk/index.html last weekend using Construct 2 (many, many thanks to Kyatric and his Whack-a-mole-Advanced-Plus). I’m the first to admit that it needs some polish. In particular, for it to be of use it needs ‘pay with a Like’ at the start and ‘share score to Facebook’ at the end. But it shows where I’m trying to go with it and I’m sure you’ll get the idea.

I’d also like to produce a basic platform game (multiplayer?) where the main goal is to collect votes whilst avoiding the party leaders shown in the Whack-a-Mole clone. It would be great to be able to release a new level every week up to the election, with the final level only being accessible to those who have voted.

OK, so now the bit which I’m sure you had by now been anticipating. I really, really need the help of some incredible creative coders / designers to make YOURvoice (hope you’ve visited the website by now) fly. YOURvoice has the potential to deliver a better democracy to the United Kingdom and across Europe but that won’t happen unless I can get the message out to people so that they’re aware that they need to vote for YOURvoice on 22 May. Might you be prepared to join with me, create a game and help make that happen? After all, why wouldn’t you want to be involved in the revolution?

OK – so it’s politics and not everyone’s thing, but in all seriousness, I wholeheartedly believe in the idea of YOURvoice and the revolution that the idea can bring about. I know it’s a massive ask but is there anyone prepared to get onboard and help make this a reality by developing some games that might just have the chance of going viral and spreading the word?

Timescales are incredibly tight I’m afraid. I’d like to release the Whack-a-Mole clone at the beginning of next week and then release the first level of the platform game the following week.

And now for the cherry on the cake. If we win a seat then there’s an internship with YOURvoice up for grabs. You’ll be able to do pretty much whatever you fancy during the internship as YOURvoice is starting from scratch and so there’s a whole variety of things in which you could get involved. And the value of this 2-3 month internship?

Up to £6000

That’s got to be worth a go!!! So get in touch through this forum or direct to [email protected].

I liked the idea.

If you need any help at all, you can send me a PM if you want. I'm not as skilled as many others here, so maybe I won't be able to deliver excellent quality games in a tight schedule, but I'm willing to help with whatever I can. 

I guess it would be impossible for me to win the internship because of where I live (Brazil), but that's not the reason I want to help. I liked the idea.