iOS performance at first load

elsioneto

I'm developing a game for iPad and when i load the game for the first time, the game is really slow. But when i reload the page, the game runs fine. Maybe it's a dumb question, but is there something that I can do to solve this?

I'm using Render Texture, and I have a considerable number of animations plus physics in my game.

Thanks in advance =)

Assuming you are using HTML + JavaScript, it is probably because you are caching the resources after the first loading. Once everything has been downloaded initially, it is being read from the browser's cache and not from its source. Any loading using resources that have not changed will usually be faster on future requests because of this.

One way to break up the initial loading is to stagger it across the game. Instead of loading everything at once, only load what you need for the next level or section of the game. Then, as the player gets ready to move to another section, or just during the play of the first section, load the resources for the next. (This works best when the loading is not very computing intensive, of course.)

Another way, the most common way, is to just show a loading screen and some type of animation or updating bar to signal that you are loading things at the beginning.

Games that use browsers to run them are always going to be affected by their functionality and the caching (or not) of resources is just something to be mindful of for mobile devices like those running iOS.