Please help with enemy movement using a timer

seanBlythe

So I'm still playing around with the phaser tutorial - Making your first phaser game. I've added an enemy baddie and I've got him to move left and right along a platform using a timer and a movement function. However, I need help with the timer. Sometimes my baddie will walk far right or left and just keep on walking in that direction. Can someone please explain what each of the parameters do in the following statement:

game.time.events.repeat(Phaser.Timer.SECOND * 3, 10, moveBaddie, game)

I've also included the full code:

var game = new Phaser.Game(800, 600, Phaser.AUTO, '', { preload: preload, create: create, update: update });function preload() {	game.load.image('sky', 'assets/sky.png');	game.load.image('ground', 'assets/platform.png');	game.load.image('star', 'assets/star.png');	game.load.spritesheet('dude', 'assets/dude.png', 32, 48);	game.load.spritesheet('baddie', 'assets/baddie.png', 32, 32);}var platforms;var score = 0;var scoreText;function create() {	// We're going to be using physics, so enable the arcade physics system	game.physics.startSystem(Phaser.Physics.ARCADE);	// A simple background for a game	game.add.sprite(0, 0, 'sky');	// The platforms group contains the ground and the 2 ledges we can jump on	platforms = game.add.group();	// we will enable physics for any object that is created in this group	platforms.enableBody = true;	// here we create the ground	var ground = platforms.create(0, game.world.height - 64, 'ground');	// Scale it to fit the width of the game (the original sprite is 400x32 in size)	ground.scale.setTo(2, 2);	// this stops it from falling away when you jump on it	ground.body.immovable = true;	// now let's create two ledges	var ledge = platforms.create(400, 400, 'ground');	ledge.body.immovable = true;	ledge = platforms.create(-150, 250, 'ground');	ledge.body.immovable = true;	// The player and its settings	player = game.add.sprite(32, game.world.height - 150, 'dude');	// We need to enable physics on the player	game.physics.arcade.enable(player);	// Player physics properties. Give the little guy a slight bounce	player.body.bounce.y = 0.2;	player.body.gravity.y = 300;	player.body.collideWorldBounds = true;	// our two animations, walking left and right	player.animations.add('left', [0, 1, 2, 3], 10, true);	player.animations.add('right', [5, 6, 7, 8], 10, true);	// enemy sprite	enemy = game.add.sprite(132, game.world.height -150, 'baddie');	game.physics.arcade.enable(enemy);	enemy.body.gravity.y = 300;	// so enemy baddie doesn't walk off screen	enemy.body.collideWorldBounds = true;	enemy.animations.add('left', [0, 1], 10, true);	enemy.animations.add('right', [2, 3], 10, true);	// baddie movement timer creation	game.time.events.repeat(Phaser.Timer.SECOND * 3, 10, moveBaddie, game);	// enemy sprite end	cursors = game.input.keyboard.createCursorKeys();	stars = game.add.group();	stars.enableBody = true;	// Here we'll create 12 of them evenly spaced apart	for (var i = 0; i < 12; i++)	{		// Create a star inside of the stars group		var star = stars.create(i * 70, 0, 'star');		// lets gravity do its thing		star.body.gravity.y = 6;		// This just gives each star a slightly random bounce value		star.body.bounce.y = 0.7 + Math.random() * 0.2;	}	scoreText = game.add.text(16, 16, 'score: 0', { fontSize: '32px', fill: '#000'});}function update() {	// Collide the player and the stars with the platforms	game.physics.arcade.collide(player, platforms);	game.physics.arcade.collide(stars, platforms);	game.physics.arcade.collide(enemy, platforms);	game.physics.arcade.overlap(player, stars, collectStar, null, this);	//reset the players velocity (movement)	player.body.velocity.x = 0;	if (cursors.left.isDown)	{		// Move to the Left		player.body.velocity.x = -150;		player.animations.play('left');	}	else if (cursors.right.isDown)	{		//move to the right		player.body.velocity.x = 150;		player.animations.play('right');	}	else	{		// Stand still		player.animations.stop();		player.frame = 4;	}	//Allow the player to jump if they are touching the ground	if (cursors.up.isDown && player.body.touching.down)	{		player.body.velocity.y = -350;	}}// Allow the enemy sprite to movefunction moveBaddie() {	// randomise the movement	baddieMover = game.rnd.integerInRange(1, 3);	// simple if statement to choose if and which way the baddie moves	if (baddieMover == 1) {		enemy.body.velocity.x = 25;		enemy.animations.play('right');	}	else if (baddieMover == 2) {		enemy.body.velocity.x = -25;		enemy.animations.play('left');	}	else {		enemy.body.velocity.x = 0;		enemy.animations.stop();	}}	function collectStar (player, star) {	// Removes the star from the screen	star.kill();	// Add and update the score	score += 10;	scoreText.text = 'Score: ' + score;}

game.time.events.repeat(  Phaser.Timer.SECOND * 3, // every 3 seconds...  10, // ... for 10 times...  moveBaddie, // ... call 'moveBaddie' function...  game // ... within the 'game' context - could also safely be 'this');

Two things I can see - firstly, because you're using repeat, when the enemy has moved 10 times, it'll just keep going in the last direction forever. Secondly, because the random movement doesn't check which way the enemy is moving, it's entirely likely the enemy could move in the same direction 3 or 4 times in a row.

The first fix would be to instead of using repeat, use the loop event:

game.time.events.loop(Phaser.Timer.SECOND * 3, moveBaddie, this); 

Loop will continue forever until stopped. This will be okay so long as the enemy isn't killed or removed, as then you'd have it trying to move the enemy still. In this case you'd need to ensure you remove the timer event.

The second fix is a bit more dependent on the gameplay you want to achieve. If you want it to truly randomly wander, keep it as is - just be aware that it could potentially wander in the same direction several times, taking it a long way. If you want it to wander within a fixed range, you should perform some checks to see if its x and/or y positions are within that range, and if not, steer the enemy back inside the range.

if (enemy.x < enemy.rangeLeft && baddieMover == 2) {          baddieMover = 1; // enemy is too far left, so move it right        }        else if (enemy.x > enemy.rangeRight && baddieMover == 1) {          baddieMover = 2; // enemy is too far right, so move it left        }        if (baddieMover == 1) {		enemy.body.velocity.x = 25;		enemy.animations.play('right');	}	else if (baddieMover == 2) {		enemy.body.velocity.x = -25;		enemy.animations.play('left');	}	else {		enemy.body.velocity.x = 0;		enemy.animations.stop();	}

You'd set enemy.rangeLeft and enemy.rangeRight maybe when you create the enemy, by using its starting position plus and minus a value to ensure it stays within a certain range of its 'home'. You could also just store enemy.startX and set enemy.range to how far from its start you want it to wander and do it this way:

if (enemy.x < enemy.startX - enemy.range && baddieMover == 2) {          baddieMover = 1; // enemy is too far left, so move it right        }        else if (enemy.x > enemy.startX + enemy.range && baddieMover == 1) {          baddieMover = 2; // enemy is too far right, so move it left        }