[Beginner] Shadows and directionnal light questions

AllForum

Hello,

I tried to add shadows in a test scene. But the objects do not generate shadows. And if a shadow is drawn it has no sense : it is not generated by a scene object.

Here is my light and my shadow generator :

var light1 = new BABYLON.DirectionalLight("DirLight", new BABYLON.Vector3(-1, -1, -1), scene);light1.position = new BABYLON.Vector3(2, 3, 2);light1.diffuse = new BABYLON.Color3(1, 1, 1);light1.specular = new BABYLON.Color3(0.6, 0.6, 0.6);light1.intensity = 1.0;var shadowGenerator = new BABYLON.ShadowGenerator(1024, light1);shadowGenerator.useVarianceShadowMap = true;

For each mesh :

shadowGenerator.getShadowMap().renderList.push(mesh);mesh.receiveShadows = true;

My questions :

- Is something missing in my code ?

- A directional light with a position is unusual : what is the rule to set the position properly ?

Thanks for your advices

Thanks for the links. I played with them.

The directionnal light seems to be like a spot light. I think that it is a problem for an easy use : objects that are not in the cone of the light will not generate shadow. And putting the light very far seems to generate inaccurate shadows.

On my test scene the "shadows" look like the cone of the light ; it is very strange.

As it is only for testing I will not debug my test and I will use your links.

Thanks