Help with sprite children and shooting

TimTation

Hello all!

I have been messing around with Phaser and have made a small start to a game by playing with some source-code from the space hipster tutorial.

I have a top down character animated with a sprite-sheet and am now working on using code from the "shoot the pointer" Phaser example to add a rotating child sprite that shoots, onto my animation of a walking body. My code works fine if I treat the rotating shooting sprite and walking animated body separately, but as soon as I add the shooting sprite onto the walking body as a child the code breaks down. I am rather new to Phaser and game dev so I apologize in advance if I am missing something obvious.

here is the code for my main game state

(as I said the child adding seems to mess things up but I wouldn't be surprised if it was something else I am no aware of...)

var SpaceHipster = SpaceHipster || {};//title screenSpaceHipster.Game = function(){};//variablesvar player;var torso;var bullets;//var fireRate controls the firerate of players gunvar fireRate = 100;var nextFire = 0;SpaceHipster.Game.prototype = {  create: function() {  	//make background of repeating graa images  	this.background = this.game.add.tileSprite(0, 0, this.game.width, this.game.height, 'grass');  	//bullet group and creation  	bullets = this.game.add.group();  	bullets.enableBody = true;    bullets.physicsBodyType = Phaser.Physics.ARCADE;    bullets.createMultiple(50, 'bullet');    bullets.setAll('checkWorldBounds', true);    bullets.setAll('outOfBoundsKill', true);        //player init    player = this.game.add.sprite(0, 0, 'player');    player.anchor.setTo(0.5);    //player torso init    torso = this.game.add.sprite(0, 0, 'playerTorso');    torso.anchor.setTo(0.5);    player.addChild(torso); //add the torso to the player sprite    //enable physics on both the legs and torso pf player    this.game.physics.enable(player, Phaser.Physics.ARCADE);    this.game.physics.enable(torso, Phaser.Physics.ARCADE);    //player animation loading    player.animations.add('down', [0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8], 10, true);    player.animations.add('up', [9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16], 10, true);    player.animations.add('left', [17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24], 10, true);    player.animations.add('right', [25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32], 10, true);  //player will not go off the screen	player.body.collideWorldBounds = true;  torso.body.collideWorldBounds = true;  //code for rotating torso to pointer  torso.body.allowRotation = false;  player.body.allowRotation = false;  	  },  update: function() {  	//allow player torso to rotate    torso.rotation = this.game.physics.arcade.angleToPointer(torso);    //if the mouse is clicked execute the fire function    if (this.game.input.activePointer.isDown)    {        this.fire();    }    //player movement handler    if (this.game.input.keyboard.isDown(Phaser.Keyboard.A))    {        player.x -= 4;        player.animations.play('left');    }    else if (this.game.input.keyboard.isDown(Phaser.Keyboard.D))    {        player.x += 4;        player.animations.play('right');    }    else if (this.game.input.keyboard.isDown(Phaser.Keyboard.W))    {        player.y -= 4;        player.animations.play('up');    }    else if (this.game.input.keyboard.isDown(Phaser.Keyboard.S))    {        player.y += 4;        player.animations.play('down');    }    else        {             //  Stand still            player.animations.stop();             player.frame = 1;        }  },fire: function() {	//if the fire cooldown is done executer the rest of the bullet firing logic	if (this.game.time.now > nextFire && bullets.countDead() > 0)    {        nextFire = this.game.time.now + fireRate;        var bullet = bullets.getFirstDead();        //controls where on the player image the bullet originates from        bullet.reset(torso.x - 8, torso.y - 8);        //'fires' bullet image to pointer coords, the number controls the bullets velocity        this.game.physics.arcade.moveToPointer(bullet, 1000);    }},render: function() {  this.game.debug.spriteInfo(torso, 32, 450);}};/*TODO*/

Thanks for any help you can offer!

- TimTation