Introduce an experimental 2D Canvas wrapper

PixelPicoSean

Hello guys,

I started a "30 days project" called Mural a month ago, and it reaches the first playable version.

The project is designed as an HTML5 game wrapper for desktop platforms, including Windows and OSX, following the idea of Ejecta.

It's originally a JavaScript port of Love2D, but changed significantly after a few days of coding since I prefer HTML5 API :P

After a month of development some of the most useful APIs implemented, including simple path stroke, fill and drawImage.

The reason that I write this thing from scratch is that Node-webkit is too fat as a wrapper. I just want to package a simple game and share it with my friends, sending a browser to him which sounds really crazy. NW is swiss knife for webapps and ambition large scale games which requires a much stable and featured environment instead of a GJ demo.

The whole repo is host in Github and I'm still working hard to make it better. Any help is welcomed :D

Plz drop me a line, I'm glad to hear from you :D

PS. executable files attached, you're free to hack the scripts inside and have fun. (for OSX the scripts are located inside app bundle). The drawing script is from Core HTML5 Canvas examples and slightly modified.

Mural test-OSX.zip

Mural test-Windows.zip

The footprint is indeed spectacular.

I would love to see a smaller alternative for node-webkit but the task is enormous.

First of all you shall provide some benchmark results. Chromium is pretty damn fast and I would rather sacrifice 50mb than 50fps.

ps: typo there "swiss knight" - knife.

@Rezoner, thanks for reply.

The project is just started and I'm not sure it'll be an alternative to Chromium which is such great. I'll add FPS counter soon and see how it performs.

The code is not optimised at all since I want it to work within 30 days of development in spare time which is a challenge for myself. I don't even know whether it's the "right" way to implement those things cause I just started to learn OpenGL things.

Anyway I want to make it better and possible to be used as a acceptable JavaScript game wrapper.