Changing states with box2d causes crash

Matthew Cooley

(this was originally, accidentally  posted in the Phaser 3 forum, sorry for the dupe)

I have the box2d plugin for Phaser (which is rad), but I've run into a problem when changing states. The problem being that the game crashes. I'm trying to determine if this is a bug in box2d or Phaser (in which case I will have to just modify the library myself which I'd rather not do), or if I am just doing something wrong.

The chain of events that I've been able to trace:

1. I change the state

2. Phaser calls clear on the physics. 

3. inside clear, a new box2d.b2World world is created: 

clear: function () {this.world = new box2d.b2World(this.gravity);

inside that function it tries to called Clone() on that gravity parameter...

box2d.b2World = function (gravity){... yadda yadda yadda ...this.m_gravity = gravity.Clone();

4. Crash

The only other time new box2d.b2World is ever called is thusly:

this.world = new box2d.b2World(new box2d.b2Vec2(0, 0)); 

But 'this.gravity' that is passed on clear() is not a b2Vec2, its a Phaser.Physics.Box2D.PointProxy object. I don't totally understand this object, but I see when its created it has a gravity getter and setter passed in. But either way, when Clone is called on this object it crashes. 

So my question is... is this a bug? Or is there a way around this?

I don't suppose you have a minimal test case do you? I've got a new release of this plugin ready, which fixes a few issues in the docs and examples and adds in support for the new RUBE Loader, but if this is an as-yet unfound bug I'd like to fix it too.

Hi guys,

I setup a minimal test case (well sort of) to show this problem. As you can see, there are 2 states; MainMenu and MyGame. When you press space button to switch from state MainMenu to MyGame the game crashes throwing an exception message (undefined is not a function). If you do not enable box2d physics system, everything works fine.

<!doctype html> <html lang="en"> <head> <meta charset="UTF-8" /><title>Phaser Test</title><script type="text/javascript" src="phaser.min.js"></script><script type="text/javascript" src="box2d-plugin-full.js"></script>    <style type="text/css">        body {            margin: 0;            background-color: rgb(80,80,80);        }    </style></head><body>    <script type="text/javascript">     MainMenu = function(game) {         this.game = game;    };     MainMenu.prototype = {                create: function() {            console.log("MainMenu.create");             this.game.physics.startSystem(Phaser.Physics.BOX2D);        },          update: function() {            console.log("MainMenu.update");              if (this.game.input.keyboard.isDown(Phaser.Keyboard.SPACEBAR)) {                                this.game.state.start("MyGame");            }          },      };     MyGame = function(game) {       };     MyGame.prototype = {                create: function() {            console.log("MyGame.create");        },          update: function() {            console.log("MyGame.update");        },      };         var game = new Phaser.Game(800, 600, Phaser.AUTO, 'My Super Game');        game.state.add("MainMenu", MainMenu);    game.state.add("MyGame", MyGame);        game.state.start("MainMenu"); </script> </body></html>

• 2 months later...

Running into the same issue here, any updates since April? One can't even try to destroy the physics on shutdown because the destroy function also calls clear(). I tried explicitly setting gravity.x and gravity.y after calling startPhysics, hoping for some miracle to occur but unfortunately without success. Any workarounds, hacks or advice?

I'm super thankful for any input!