Package your HTML5 Games with node-webkit

bmatusiak

Hey guys,  if you havent see this, its worth checking into..  

https://github.com/rogerwang/node-webkit

What exactly does this do??

node-webkit is an app runtime based on Chromium and node.js. You can write native apps in HTML and Javascript with node-webkit. It also lets you to call Node.js modules directly from DOM and enables a new way of writing native applications with all Web technologies.

It's created and developed in Intel Open Source Technology Center.

Its also provides a way to protect your javascript code

heres a example node-webkit app you can look at for examples

https://github.com/brads-tools/node-webkit-ace-editor

Just tried Node-Webkit and it's incredibly easy to use. The performance is also great.

The downside is that if you want to package the player binary along with the game, the size will be at least 60 MB or so. (Not a big cons, I suppose)

There's also AppJS (which uses nodejs + Chromium) and TideSDK (which uses webkit). I've found the latter very easy to use and well documented, but I'm guessing the JS performance isn't as good as the other two projects, which use V8 I believe. All three give you Windows, OSX, and Linux.

I tried TideSDK, but the performance was so poor. The team told me that they already improved this in the beta but I haven't gotten my hand on the beta yet.

• 2 weeks later...

Can anybody say how does working with text files look in those frameworks? Can you use AJAX or do you have to rely on the File API (I'm assuming Chromium has it, since Chrome does)?

I would use nodejs as much as i can in this framework, 

but node-webkit does allow you to use the file://  system to read files if you want or you can use the FS object api that nodejs supplies