New To Coding, Where To Start?

Hagen5690

Hello all,

I have grown up an avid gamer and have fallen in love with breeding turn based games. I want to make my own but I have (Besides knowing what html, silverlight, java and unity are) no idea where to start. I think what I want is either HTML or Java, (or both) can someone help me find some learning material? I'm modelling it after both www.avirtualhorse.com and www.howrse.com and a little more stuff that I think of that they both don't have.

If this is topic is in the wrong place, please feel free to tell me. I didn't know where to put it.

Thank you,

Hagen5690

I think one way you can start is by trying to play around with a template file available, getting used to how Phaser reads it - the game update loop I mean.

Here's where the project templates are located:

https://github.com/photonstorm/phaser/tree/master/resources/Project Templates

For the JS side of things, any of those basic learning sites will do. And Chrome's console will be your best friend for debugging and trying out lines of code.

For web game programming, you can go to Raining Chain's youtube channel or visit his website : http://rainingchain.com/

Go to he website and in "Code tutorial" go to html5 Game Logic. He covers everything from beginner to advanced and also teaches building networked games.

That is best for beginners.

Good luck and have fun building games !

On 10/29/2016 at 10:00 AM, Hagen5690 said:

Hello all,

I have grown up an avid gamer and have fallen in love with breeding turn based games. I want to make my own but I have (Besides knowing what html, silverlight, java and unity are) no idea where to start. I think what I want is either HTML or Java, (or both) can someone help me find some learning material? I'm modelling it after both www.avirtualhorse.com and www.howrse.com and a little more stuff that I think of that they both don't have.

If this is topic is in the wrong place, please feel free to tell me. I didn't know where to put it.

Thank you,

Hagen5690

I would suggest start with two languages. Get some nice books on C++ or java and read it like a novel (enjoy it) this will give good insight of how to program and concept of OOP. Since all the major companies uses C++ for their games you can secure your future and get a good job. But the problem with this is, its very hard to make a game in c++ if you are a newbie, so you might loose interest in programming as whole.

So to keep your interest in making games, start with something easy so that you can make games with less effort. You can start with construct2 or you can learn phaser. Learn just enough JS for phaser to make games. 

http://mooc.fi/english Object oriented programming with Java, part 1 & Object oriented programming with Java, part 2

This two part course uses a plugin for the netbeans editor so you write in an actual IDE. Then you submit your answers and the plugin will check if you follow the problem's requirements. Honestly I skipped part 1 since I already had experience with java but part 2 was challenging. I feel I improved a lot after it and many people from reddit's learnprogramming subreddit have the same experience.