How to create relative infinite map ?

SebRomeo

Hi ;)
I wonder how can we create an infinite relative map like in RPG for example. Like a seamless tile of texture.

In the shema below, imagine that arrows are players path on x,y and z axis.
How can they seamlessly passes the cube limit and be on the other side ? Is it possible ?

Thanks to you all ;)

text4172-5.png

Hiya @SebRomeo, welcome to the forum.   Sorry for slow replies.

Does "infinite relative map" === "infinite terrain"? 

I'm no expert in webGL,  but we DO have some BJS infinite terrain projects nearby.  @NasimiAsl's Blog500 is such (pg demo, too, use down-cursor to back-out of Nasimi's "home cylinder"). 

And I believe @Pryme8 has some noise-driven infinite terrain in his Teriable demo.

Tiled grounds has been tested a bit, too.  Please visit the 3 links for Célian Garcia... seen in our Offsite Tutorials List

I played with tiled ground a bit myself... here.  It uses a divided-up displaceMap/heightMap to create 16 tiles, which I then try to assemble back together.  Mostly, I fail.  :D   This demo/series is still awaiting a lighting-normals "sewing machine" - to "average" the normals across the seams - to avoid color changes at the seams.   :)  There's a massive thread about it all...  here.  All participants in that thread... died of boredom.  heh

I hope I am on-topic.  If not, sorry, please clarify. 

I wish I had more/simple examples to show... but I don't.  Perhaps others will comment soon.  Welcome again.

Thanks a lot for your very complete answer !

"infinite relative map" === "infinite terrain" === true ;)

I understood the main concept behind those example. If I apply it to a 3d space scene, we can immagine that:
-I cut my 3d cube in 4 equal quarter cubes
-According to where the player is in the "active" quarter, I translate all coordinates of other quarters and their objects to the new "soon crossed" boundary
-And so on....

At first view it may be very hard to process depending on items the scene contain...but that's a good idea...We can also subdivide in lower quarters for the world to be less process consuming and calculate all coordinates relative to the active cube or something like that.....

Very interesting !!

Also you and your team are genius thanks to all! you do a great job everyday !

Yes, the standard way of doing this kind of thing is to split the world into "chunks", and dynamically create and destroy terrain as the player moves around. If you do that, it doesn't really matter whether your world is "infinite" or "repeating" - the latter just means you re-use data every N chunks rather than making up an endless series of them.

Getting the border between chunks to be seamless can be a nontrivial problem, but I don't think there are any general answers - it depends on what the meshes look like and how you're generating them.