Performance Iphone 5s worse than Iphone 5c using webGL

samid737

Hi,

I am making my first  mobile HTML5 game using Phaser. Its a very simple tap game where you have to keep your character balanced. I have noticed something that is kind of strange to me. I have tested the game on:

-iphone 5c, IOS 10.2.1, safari browser.
-iphone 5s, IOS 10.2.1, safari browser.
-Samsung Galaxy S4, android 4.4.2.

I have tested the game using CANVAS mode and WEBGL mode for comparison. I observed the following:

CANVAS mode:

Iphone 5c < Iphone5s ---> 30fps vs 60fps avg. -----> expected this....
S4: 60fps.

WEBGL mode:

Iphone 5c > Iphone5s ---> 60fps vs 30fps avg. -----> did not expect this....
S4: 60fps (same).

My expectation was that the 5s would play at 60fps in WEBGL mode, but it is the opposite case. On the samsung s4 it performs the same for both. In CANVAS mode, I have 15-17 draw calls . In WEBGL mode this reduces to 9 draw calls (Most of my objects are on a single atlas). I still have to add audio to the game.

I can imagine that it is hard to tell what might be going on, but I can't really find a reasonable explanation for this result and its kind of dissapointing. It seems to me that I can't get a reliable result using WEBGL.... I'm thinking of sticking to CANVAS mode and optimize as much as I can. Would this be the right way to proceed? 

UPDATE:

The Game:

@samid737

The difference here is in the chipset that they are using.

iPhone 5C uses Apple A6 The Apple A6 is a 32-bit package on package (PoP) system on a chip (SoC)
iPhone 5S uses Apple A7 The Apple A7 is a 64-bit system on a chip (SoC)

So this might be a PixiJS issue. And i'm sorry to say I don't really know that much on how pixi works?

Maybe @rich can offer some insight on this?

Yes the 5c is also becoming an older device too, so I kind of am comfortable with CANVAS mode now. I was almost obsessed with draw call optimization when I was building the game . I will look into it again in the near future, because I don't have all the devices anymore...

I thought maybe I should clarify further. This contains some extracts from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_A7

"Apple states that it is up to twice as fast and has up to twice the graphics power compared to its predecessor, the Apple A6."

What this means is that the GPU for A7 should render twice as fast and the older A6, but since you are saying that you get exactly half of 60fps, that leads me to believe that pixi does not properly support 64 bit chipsets  or at least the Apple 64 bit chipset. And frankly some of the 64 bit android smartphones are not that widely used.

So I dunno. I'm kinda grasping at straws but in essence. If the 64 bit chipset has runs at exactly 30fps, half of the optimal 60fps , that leads me to believe that only half of it's capability is being used.