Announcing: HTML5 Multiplayer Kit

Dids

Hey guys!

I thought I'd share something I've been working on for a while now called HTML5 Multiplayer Kit.

More info available at www.multiplayerkit.com !

Short version:

It's a neat little package that helps any HTML5 developer to set up networking with minimum hassle and at minimum cost, no matter what engine they use.

Long version:

I felt like the HTML5 market had been evolving at such a rapid rate that it needed more multiplayer games, a lot more. That's when I started working on Tactile and noticed that there just wasn't a good enough networking solution for rapid and cheap development, so I began developing my own solution using NodeJS and Socket.IO, among a few other libraries.

The engine is mostly complete, but I've still got documentation to write, which will have something for everyone, ie. from setting up a local NodeJS environment to deploying to a service such as AppFog (they have an amazing free plan).

As the game engine I use the most is ImpactJS, I'm also making a plugin for it as well as a simple game example. For others, a regular HTML(5) game example will be provided.

All in all the networking engine should be very easy to use, as long as you at least know what javascript is, as you'll be using simple JS functions for communications and callbacks.

Live Examples:

I've made an example game with it called Tactile, which is a relatively simple real-time game of tic tac toe.

What's more, I've implemented analytics straight in to the engine, which can be demoed on Tactile's analytics page.

Other things worth noting:

Technically the engine will work with any language, engine or platform that either directly supports javascript (and Socket.IO through that) or has a Socket.IO wrapper (there are a ton out there).

So in a sense, it's a fully cross-platform and cross-language networking engine for games and for apps.

--

Pauli 'Dids' Jokela

Sounds interesing!

Sadly, your features List doesnt tell anythin about features...

So what did you add on top of the features that socket.io offers?

I played around a bit with a mmog idea of mine and found socket.io very easy to use for my needs.

Sounds interesing!

Sadly, your features List doesnt tell anythin about features...

So what did you add on top of the features that socket.io offers?

I played around a bit with a mmog idea of mine and found socket.io very easy to use for my needs.

While learning Socket.IO, NodeJS, Redis and other frameworks may be easy for the more experienced javascript developers, it might not be so for some, especially when it comes to networking.

Think of the kit as an API that simplifies working with Socket.IO and Redis and unifies all the extra frameworks into one.

You could also think of it as a good starting place, especially if you're new to it, or if you just want one simple solution instead of researching the different things by yourself.

Then you should put up some getting started docs so that devs could understand the benefits of using your library - I had no idea what it does after I visited your website :)

Thanks for the idea. I've had a bit of a problem on explaining what it does so that everyone would understand, without sounding too technical. :)

• 3 weeks later...

So this includes instructions for use with Game Maker? Is there any more info you can provide regarding this?

Yes. I'm currently working on adding two very simple example games (Bumper Cars and a Platformer) which will really show off the real-time capabilities, as well as provide a starting point for similar games.

These two examples will be available for multiple different engines, including GameMaker. In GameMaker's case, the API is very simple to use, as long as you are somewhat familiar with GameMaker's scripting. :)