Pixi V4 performance issues

trajektorijus

Hey fellas, 

I have been playing with this prototype animation a year ago. And now I decided to develop the real thing. 
The only problem is that V4 introduced major FPS drops for some reason. Can someone explain me what's going on? 

V3: https://codepen.io/trajektorijus/pen/BzONov (smooth)
V4: https://codepen.io/trajektorijus/pen/aymBeP (terrible frame drops)

I am not sure how should I optimise this. I am fairly new in the field, so if someone could through an advice I would be very happy.
Tried enabling cacheAsBitmap on the image sprite elements, but that did nothing (only messed up the mask positions and animations).
Even when I turn off the rotations and all the animations the fps is just as bad.

Cheers!

Hi, thanks for a quick response! They didn't load because I use crossorigin.me to make external images work, which is very slow sometimes... Sorry about that.
I tried profiling. Most of the time is spent in the animate function. Which tells me very little what is actually wrong.

I got the same perf on both the v3 and v4 versions of your demo. Consistently 60 fps, and majority of the time in profile was spent idle or logging the frame time.

This held true for me in both Chrome and Firefox. I also forced it into canvas mode, and it still performed well in the v4 demo.

Can you provide more details about what you are experiencing, your platform, and can you upload a CPU profile so i can examine it?

Well, I am working on an old laptop.
It's Lenovo Y580, i7-3610QM, GTX660m, 16GB Ram, Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit.
All I want is the FPS to stay at at least 30.
If the screenshots aren't enough I can do a video recording of both demos. The difference is really noticeable. I am not nitpicking here. V3 is solid 60fps, and V4 drop to just a few FPS at times. 
On the actual app, I am building, the situation is even worse (attached).

I hope the screenshots will be helpful, thanks!

cpu_profiles.png

elapsedMS.png

app_cpu_profile.png

app_elapsedMS.png

Then its related to changes in filters. I dont know how to simply use non-pow2 temporary renderTexture with filter to simulate old behaviour.

I can easily embed ColorMatrixFilter's shader https://github.com/pixijs/pixi.js/blob/dev/src/filters/colormatrix/colorMatrix.frag into https://github.com/pixijs/pixi-plugin-example, put your stuff into renderTexture and then draw with that shader, but, im too busy with other things.

Also, demo doesnt work for me.

Btw, what if you remove the filter?

You are right! If I remove the ColorMatrixFilter. Then I get 30FPS! 
Awesome! That's something.
Tried applying different filters and all of them introduces major lag.
I might survive without the filters, but if you can think of a solution to improve the performance, I am all ears!

Thanks anyway, for finding the source of the lag!

For future reference, screenshots of profiles are not super helpful :) Instead save the file and upload it as an attachment. That will allow me to open it in my tools and explore. If adding filters is causing you lag, it is likely an issues with your GPU specifically. Could be texture swapping due to memory constraints, driver issues, or any number of things.

Best thing to do from here is to build a small example, as little as is necessary that reproduces your issue. Then use something like WebGL inspector to see what WebGL is doing and debug the GPU process. Ideally you can share that small example and we can help you there.

Sorry, yes, that was stupid of me... Here are those profiles. I actually tried uploading them, but for some reason was unable to do so.
I have decided that I will manage without the filters. I didn't really need them anyway.

Anyway, thanks for your help, guys.

Edit: just tested on my 5k iMac and here the story is different. V3 is waay slower than V4... :) 

v3.cpuprofile

v4.cpuprofile