Tile Floor recommendations

JCPalmer

I wanted to make a tiled floor in the past.  In that case, it was a tool scene to test walking poses, so performance did not matter.  It was also to make it easy to count distance.  When I tried to do it with a texture, it was always blurry.  I just wrote a quick script to make a mesh with a bunch of black squares, and set the clear color of the scene to white.  Here is what I got.

tiledfloor.jpg.cd73c6b7933a3ace10b7ed309cf2cd10.jpg

Now, I would like the same effect & quality for a real scene (no shadows required).  Not sure how big each square should be in advance.  Needs to be adjustable to try different sizes.  Do not want to use white for clear color for scene.  Is this a good candidate for a procedural?  If so, it seems there a number of variations in the framework & extensions (shaderbuilder).  What would you recommend?  Here is mesh:

floor.thumb.jpg.e1cb56c675d3e55c0dc1a70c4316d012.jpg

Holy grout lines, batman!  This is just as good.  Crisp quality, low vertex, no GLSL!  Interior ground is not something I want to waste my effort, or texture & vertex budgets on.  The recurring pattern over large surfaces causes expenditure of significant resources on, only to be un-noticable.  Add a little accent rug with a little splash of color, perfect.