[wip] rubies.live space stone shooter

losthope

Pretty cool :) is it all 3D polygons or actually just sprite-work?

A couple of small things could be improved relative easily though..

• The game starts instantly, maybe show instructions first, like a panel with text and an OK button.
  • The lasers are hardly visible, they could be bigger and brighter for better visibility (also all sprites could use a bit more color)
  • Maybe start out with at least a few lasers instead of zero, to get the action going right away

Thanks! :-)

Oh, and the asteroids and rubies are just canvas triangles forming some edgy circle, the center of it is moved a bit out, and the brightness is sin(triangle_index * something), which happened to make it look slightly like a 3D model, but it will never be really 3D.

Cool Game! I do have some suggestions:

- It wasn't clear at first whether I needed to avoid the gold asteroids (that appeared after shooting a big asteroid) or collect them. This is probably due to the fact that the original, iconic asteroids game had asteroids break down into smaller asteroids. I would change the gold asteroids into some sort of coin or gem to make it more clear.

- Landing on the planets to "sell shield power" is confusing, especially since you have to mount backwards. Maybe try clarifying a little more on how to do this.

On 6/16/2018 at 5:51 AM, kevdude said:

Cool Game! I do have some suggestions:

- It wasn't clear at first whether I needed to avoid the gold asteroids (that appeared after shooting a big asteroid) or collect them. This is probably due to the fact that the original, iconic asteroids game had asteroids break down into smaller asteroids. I would change the gold asteroids into some sort of coin or gem to make it more clear.

- Landing on the planets to "sell shield power" is confusing, especially since you have to mount backwards. Maybe try clarifying a little more on how to do this.

Thanks for the feedback. ☺️  I didn't want to reply/bump my thread without adding something to the game. It now has some basic multiplayer and some bots that walk through the mazes where you're supposed to look for lazer ammo gems.

The gems look now more like gems, they look a bit flat now, and they rotate. And I replaced the "landing on planet" text by "go backwards on planet", I somehow thought of a SpaceX rocket, but I suddenly understand that shuttles actually don't do this.

Toggle button to speed up for mobile devices?

I've played it on my mobile with the new updates, its good stuff! With a keyboard, it's easy to hold the up arrow to move and press the right or left arrows to rotate at the same time but on mobile, I have my left and right thumb to navigate and that's all. So I either press right or left or speed but cant speed up and navigate at the same time. So I ended up using one button to always rotate the same direction and the forward arrow button to actually start moving to the direction I ended up rotating to. It was a good fun, but I don't think this is how you intended playing the game on mobile :)

It's a fun game, keep it going!!

12 hours ago, Krisztian Varga said:

Toggle button to speed up for mobile devices?

I've played it on my mobile with the new updates, its good stuff! With a keyboard, it's easy to hold the up arrow to move and press the right or left arrows to rotate at the same time but on mobile, I have my left and right thumb to navigate and that's all. So I either press right or left or speed but cant speed up and navigate at the same time. So I ended up using one button to always rotate the same direction and the forward arrow button to actually start moving to the direction I ended up rotating to. It was a good fun, but I don't think this is how you intended playing the game on mobile :)

It's a fun game, keep it going!!

Ohh, I totally forgot about this. Now I get it.
Man.. thanks. That is why "automatic/toggle speed up..."... I think maybe I could try to get the "^" and the "<" button on the same x or y (**), and then allow moving the thumb onto the second button.

Or just the automatic speed up when it's mobile. You're really right.
(I'm checking for mobile with "pixelRatio > 1", because the other way of checking is a very big regexp on the useragent. meh..)

Thanks, looking forward to hearing from you any time...
Kind regards..

Edit: ** That was a vague description of different things I did there. Anyway it now looks like this, and the shoot button can react while the thumb is also still on up/down.

Untitled4.png

14 hours ago, losthope said:

Ohh, I totally forgot about this. Now I get it.
Man.. thanks. That is why "automatic/toggle speed up..."... I think maybe I could try to get the "^" and the "<" button on the same x or y (**), and then allow moving the thumb onto the second button.

Or just the automatic speed up when it's mobile. You're really right.
(I'm checking for mobile with "pixelRatio > 1", because the other way of checking is a very big regexp on the useragent. meh..)

Thanks, looking forward to hearing from you any time...
Kind regards..

Edit: ** That was a vague description of different things I did there. Anyway it now looks like this, and the shoot button can react while the thumb is also still on up/down.

Untitled4.png

It works much better now, good stuff! :)