How to orientate GUI.Slider vertical ?

unobruno

Hiya UB, welcome to the forum.

I have only made one vertical slider in my life, and I might have done it incorrectly... but here it is.

https://www.babylonjs-playground.com/#3VMTI9#5

I used it for an experimental list-view window...  https://www.babylonjs-playground.com/#08KEYA#32

(Side note:  I might try a re-write of that PG, using the new GUI Grid Control.  Potential reduced code/complexity, and easy-addition of many more table columns.)

@Arte added some mousewheel stuff in lines 311-325, works great... but... #30 is a free-camera scene (doesn't use mousewheel for the camera).  For arc-rotate-camera... mousewheel IS used for the camera... for zoom/cam-distance.

Sooooo... if you are going to activate mousewheeling on your vertical slider, you might wish to use a freeCamera... to avoid mouseWheel conflicts.  It looks like you are over-riding the arcCamera mousewheel-zoom, and using the slider for zooming.  So, maybe no problem for you to use freeCamera, along with Arte's 311-325 mousewheel code.

Advanced stuff:  Mousewheeling vertical sliders... might depend-upon "focus".  Let's pretend you have 4 vertical sliders on-screen.  You need to invent a focus system... so the mousewheel knows WHICH vertical slider to slide.  :) PointerEnterObservable ad pointerOutObservable... are a good way to make a focus system, but I have seen the TAB button used, too... like in web-page forms.  Be sure to ask... if you have troubles with a focus system... we're here for ya.   I don't think anyone has done much GUI control focus/un-focus work... so maybe we will all invent it together (you and other forum members).

Maybe someone already invented a focus system for GUI.  Perhaps they will comment soon.

I hope this helps.  Party on!

19 hours ago, Wingnut said:

Hiya UB, welcome to the forum.

I have only made one vertical slider in my life, and I might have done it incorrectly... but here it is.

https://www.babylonjs-playground.com/#3VMTI9#5

I used it for an experimental list-view window...  https://www.babylonjs-playground.com/#08KEYA#32

(Side note:  I might try a re-write of that PG, using the new GUI Grid Control.  Potential reduced code/complexity, and easy-addition of many more table columns.)

@Arte added some mousewheel stuff in lines 311-325, works great... but... #30 is a free-camera scene (doesn't use mousewheel for the camera).  For arc-rotate-camera... mousewheel IS used for the camera... for zoom/cam-distance.

Sooooo... if you are going to activate mousewheeling on your vertical slider, you might wish to use a freeCamera... to avoid mouseWheel conflicts.  It looks like you are over-riding the arcCamera mousewheel-zoom, and using the slider for zooming.  So, maybe no problem for you to use freeCamera, along with Arte's 311-325 mousewheel code.

Advanced stuff:  Mousewheeling vertical sliders... might depend-upon "focus".  Let's pretend you have 4 vertical sliders on-screen.  You need to invent a focus system... so the mousewheel knows WHICH vertical slider to slide.  :) PointerEnterObservable ad pointerOutObservable... are a good way to make a focus system, but I have seen the TAB button used, too... like in web-page forms.  Be sure to ask... if you have troubles with a focus system... we're here for ya.   I don't think anyone has done much GUI control focus/un-focus work... so maybe we will all invent it together (you and other forum members).

Maybe someone already invented a focus system for GUI.  Perhaps they will comment soon.

I hope this helps.  Party on!

Thx. Thats what i'm searching for

Hi guys.  Glad to hear you are rolling, UB.

Perhaps wise to check cross-browser and cross-platform very carefully... for these "bootleg" vertical sliders.

Thx for info, DeltaKush... I/we never knew they were intended for horz-only.  Yes, interesting!

Sometimes, I do the slider rotation, but the mouse still needs dragging left/right... to make slider to move up/down.  Strange.

I think #4 is currently doing that. (same for both IE and FF.)  I should study why.

I'm quite sure the slider control... is haunted.  :)  But it is haunted by a friendly ghost.

On 6/9/2018 at 1:45 PM, Wingnut said:

Hi guys.  Glad to hear you are rolling, UB.

Perhaps wise to check cross-browser and cross-platform very carefully... for these "bootleg" vertical sliders.

Thx for info, DeltaKush... I/we never knew they were intended for horz-only.  Yes, interesting!

Sometimes, I do the slider rotation, but the mouse still needs dragging left/right... to make slider to move up/down.  Strange.

I think #4 is currently doing that. (same for both IE and FF.)  I should study why.

I'm quite sure the slider control... is haunted.  :)  But it is haunted by a friendly ghost.

i just used jQuery UI. Might be a better solution for now

Sure... could be so.  One issue... VR head gear.  Last I heard... VR head gear does NOT allow HTML elements to be on-canvas.

I don't have any VR headsets, nor have I gotten the opportunity to try it... but... I hear it's becoming popular.

This is why some of us prefer BJS GUI (2d and 3d).  Ok, party on!