A Question About Browser Game Development.

EpicKingdom_

I know that you can do so much in terms of 2D games using HTML5, CSS3, JavaScript, Phaser 3, etc. 

But what about 3D games in the browser? It's hard for me to find tutorials or showcases of 3D browser games. Is this a thing or do people start using things like Unity at this point?

I am aware that there are some 3D JS frameworks out there, but I guess I am asking if it's worth it. Again, I see a ton of 2D browser games, but not that many 3D. Should I learn 3D in the browser or just move on to something like Unity or Unreal?

Not many browser 3D games, I'm afraid. If they existed BabylonJS and ThreeJS would be crowing about them on their homepages.

In terms of a contractor skillset (say, you do freelance web / interactive dev work) it's not a bad skill to have. But there isn't any direct money in it. You could theoretically make a game and seek sponsorships but that's also, effectively, no money.

Your engine decision should revolve around the platform you want to target. If you want to be on the web then you're using one of the JavaScript engines. Any other platform and you should be using Unity or Unreal.

9 hours ago, KyleNau said:

Your engine decision should revolve around the platform you want to target. If you want to be on the web then you're using one of the JavaScript engines. Any other platform and you should be using Unity or Unreal.

That's my struggle, I can never decide to program in JavaScript or C#. 

When it comes to making 2D games, why learn Unity when I can just do it in JavaScript (since I already know it well) and port it to mobile with Cordova. On top of that, I can use Phaser 3 and have it available on the web with ease.

But then again, Unity has the asset store and all that good stuff so I think I might move away from JavaScript.

It all comes down to what kinda games you would like to develop, where is the target market for that type of game, and is there any value in it for the Gamers playing it in the browser rather than on any other platform. You should take advantage of the Browser when it comes to your game, what can you do in the browser that you cant do on any other platform.

The first applications of every new tech are copying old solutions using the new tech, it takes time to utilize the potential. Skip that bit and go for the goodies :) 

You may wanna check out https://poki.com/en/html5 to see existing 3D games running in the browser, but those are made with Unity really, I personally couldn't get them running on mobile.