lowrezjam - scale pixel art up with no blur

gikdew

The #lowrezjam is a jam where you have to make a game with a maximum of 32x32 pixels but you can scale the game up. How can I scale my game up without having blur, and with my awesome pixel art still crispy enough.

In this picture you can view the 32x32 game, with a demo image.

post-7867-0-44369800-1399022204.png

When I try to upscale my game to 128x128 I get this and I dont know if I have to scale the canvas, or the game... I don't know how to do it! Any help??

post-7867-0-16379900-1399022427.png

This is the code I'm using:

Game.prototype = {        preload: function() {            Phaser.Canvas.setSmoothingEnabled(this.game.context, false);            this.game.scale.maxWidth = 128;            this.game.scale.maxHeight = 128;            this.game.scale.scaleMode = Phaser.ScaleManager.SHOW_ALL;            this.game.scale.setScreenSize();        },create: function() {            this.player = this.game.add.sprite(0, 0, 'player');            this.player.smoothed = false;        },

and in Css

.game {    image-rendering: optimizeSpeed;                 image-rendering: -moz-crisp-edges;              image-rendering: -webkit-optimize-contrast;                                                    image-rendering: -o-crisp-edges;            // OS X & Windows Opera (12.02+)    image-rendering: optimize-contrast;         // Possible future browsers.    -ms-interpolation-mode: nearest-neighbor;   // IE	 width: 128px;	 height: 128px;}

I tried everything... my game still looks bad when zoomed up.

This is the original size (32x32)

jwn3Dwg.png

and this is zoomed in 500% (on chrome)

qi78HW1.png

I'd like it if my game retained the pixellated look.

Halp?

Hey JP, 

That method works if I manually scale my game. But if the user zooms in to play a 32x32 game, I cant properly apply scaling since there aren't any universally applicable zoom detection methods available that works across browsers (or so the internet tells me).

I could use visibility change detection but I do not know if it works for zooming and also, I do not know how to use it properly.

Having the same problems.

I think I might use what the phaser example shows.. that would mean:

create the game in 320 x 320, set game.stage.smoothed = false and scale everything up by factor 10, and make sure to move everything aligned to the 10x10 grid.

or maybe gikdew will tell us how he solved it.