The Lab - a game for javascript coders

4lbertoC

Hi all,

I'd like to show you my first HTML5 game for coders: The Lab!

It has to be solved by coding in Javascript and manipulating the DOM (so you guys are pretty much the target gamers  :P )

thelab-screenshot.jpg

You could also play it through the browser's developer tools instead of the in-game console.

If you don't know what to do, you can get some help and hints from the menu.

Any kind of feedback is appreciated  :)

I played this yesterday. I haven't had a chance to play again. I really should before I give feedback but I thought this deserves more feedback than it's getting.

First of all I was stuck for ages on the password bit. I was writing things like password: getPassword().   haha And then I was looking through the html pages looking for a password variable. I thought that was part of the game. Then I just looked at the menu and the password was there. So I wasn't sure if that was part of the game, or what? I mean I think you might lose a lot of people on that. It just seemed odd to me and pointless.

I did manage to turn on the light. Which was very satisfying and made me feel like I was a hacker or something! Then it gave me a set of instructions, but I wasn't quite paying enough attention. When I went to read them again I couldn't find them. Once the instructions are off the screen is there a way to see them again? If not there needs to be a method that shows passed instructions. I'm not talking about the help menu but where it tells you what you are supposed to do next.

Anyway it's a really cool idea, and I will be back tomorrow to have another go at it. It's nice to see a puzzle game that's not just matching up colors, and actually makes you think.

Hey guys,

thanks so much for your feedback!

@Dream of Sleeping: you are right on both the issues!

I wanted to avoid the player to go through the source code to find a solution, so as you suggest I'd better add a more explicit hint on where the login information can be found, given the fact that it's the beginning of the game and the player still doesn't have figured out how to play.

Regarding the passed instructions, I think I will add another entry in the menu, but it's getting too messy, so maybe I will also review its structure.

@Noid

Cool, I didn't noticed that. I'll go through the console plugin implementation, and see if that's something that I can put my hands on.