Boilerplate code for a top-down RPG-esque game

xzereus

Hi,

I'm wanting to try using phaser for an RPG project I'm working on. It seems like a great game framework to build cross-platform games. One thing I'm trying to avoid, however, is creating the boilerplate code of an RPG: character movement, world rendering, environment collision, etc. I know that Phaser makes much of this a lot simpler, but I'm wondering if anybody has create a "base" RPG project that can be built upon easily to create an RPG with Phaser.

Thanks!

Тhere isn't such a thing as far as I know but there a lot examples:

Basicly you have the components that you need.

Tilemap, collisions, input and spirtes and states.

This are the fundamental blocks.

So why dont you try this:

1. Make your base level in tiled

2. Import it and make 2 tile types walkable and wall/non-walkable

3. Make a sprite with 4 way movement

4. Add 2 states - start screen, and 1 level

After you do this you have you personal boilerplate :)

Also there are a lot of ready games from which you can check how things are organized and done.

Hey I even know a link for a basic rpg like game: http://www.lessmilk.com/games/11/

Currently I'm working on an rpg with phaser, but there is a lot of footwor and there not much to cheat from.
Creating user interfaces (menu and controls, lists, dialog system, etc etc) and of course the model (if aiming for ff complexity) would be the primar time devourers.

For anything else (graphics, physics, state management), as far as I've progressed, phaser seems to be perfect for me.

I remember a guy here in the forum aiming for a rpg engine as well: http://jrpge.co/. Don't know if it's dying though.

Thanks everyone for the comments and links!

Currently I'm working on an rpg with phaser, but there is a lot of footwor and there not much to cheat from.
Creating user interfaces (menu and controls, lists, dialog system, etc etc) and of course the model (if aiming for ff complexity) would be the primar time devourers.

For anything else (graphics, physics, state management), as far as I've progressed, phaser seems to be perfect for me.

I remember a guy here in the forum aiming for a rpg engine as well: http://jrpge.co/. Don't know if it's dying though.

Marvster,

This is a lot of what I'm wanting to avoid. Have you considered releasing a simplified version of your code as a sample RPG for new Phaser devs to start with? This would certainly help more developers move toward using Phaser for RPGs. Just a thought  :)

Marvster,

This is a lot of what I'm wanting to avoid. Have you considered releasing a simplified version of your code as a sample RPG for new Phaser devs to start with? This would certainly help more developers move toward using Phaser for RPGs. Just a thought  :)

Yes, as I participate a lot of the help given from all the people in the forum I will definitely share some wire frame and thoughts which came up in the process. But at the moment I'm far away to release something useful. They are a lot of fragments in any direction, but I have to put them in functional order first.

And it's not my primary goal to release a full functional rpg, it's more a hobby for me, based on curiosity. :)

• 2 years later...
On 5/14/2014 at 7:55 AM, marvster said:

I was that guy. I had to stop development due to life things, but I do have a gofundme that would help get things going back on it. No one really responded and my own personal projects have taken over. If people are interested in it I may continue the project regardless if there is interest. The code needs to be cleaned up heavily though.

So I plan to revise the project. Originally I was using pure pixie.js. Instead, this time, I'm going to write things as phaser plugins. Will be a lot less to write. Any suggestions on plugins needed/wanted? I have a list going that I'll add later (on my phone) of possible plugins I'll be working on

I saw a kind of RPG boilerplate framework in the Sphere RPG  game engine with its built-in editor. There was a set of folders for different types of files such as fonts, images, maps, tilesets, spritesets, sounds, scripts etc. It used Javascript code too and using the API made getting a character up and walking was very quick and easy to figure out. Maybe someone could do something similar with Phaser.

http://forums.spheredev.org