[WIP] Gypsy's Code Kit - Learn to program, one bit at a time

chandler

Hello!

I've been working on an html/canvas based editor called Gypsy's Code Kit (it's at www.presidentgypsy.com). You use it to program turtle-style robots (move & turn to draw), drop them on a playground, and then see how they interact.  I've got many goals with this software, however, three of the primary ones are
  1. To minimize syntax/compilation struggles for new programmers
  2. For all created scenes to be easily inspected and changed by others
  3. To teach programming with a traditional, top-to-bottom imperative language
The main site is a single HTML5 page, and I'm currently working on building walkthroughs and demos to introduce computing concepts (conditions, looping, memory, communication).

Here's a screenshot of a few developed scenes:

post-11112-0-28441200-1413910873.png

And here's a screenshot of the editor (also shows a sample of the language, which is basically freeform text):

post-11112-0-54790300-1413910887.png

- I've made an introductory PDF that shows how to navigate the Playground and Editor, as well as a video that covers the similar concepts in a different way (by drawing a drawbridge).

- Here's a scene of laser-shooting-googly eyes (click the mouse to shoot out lasers), which you can make from scratch by following along with this and then this.

- There's a bit more stuff at the site's blog.

I know I'm new to this forum, but I'd appreciate any feedback (large or small) you can provide--this is the first major web application I've written, so if you see something weird or unexpected, let me know!

post-11112-0-28441200-1413910873.png

post-11112-0-54790300-1413910887.png