Jumpy Penguin

MarkAndrade

Game Link:  http://jumpy-penguin.com

I'm playing with the idea of launching my games as HTML5 apps for mobile devices and this game is one of the first.  I originally launched this game as an iOS app ( written in javascript ) with a custom wrapper ( written in cocoa ) before iOS 8 became available. Now that iOS8 is out and it supports webGL I see great potential for javascript apps running on devices without the need of a walled garden.

The game itself is simple.  Tap and hold to select the power of the jump.  Let go to jump and try to jump over as many pillars as you can.  It's meant to played on you mobile device in the browser.  

The game is written with Typescript using the latest version of Phaser.  I've tested the game on as many devices as I could.  Some low end iPhones and Android devices run a bit slow but I believe that the majority now is capable of running the game smoothly.  In Windows Phone 8.1, even though it does play sounds it's really funky so I'd suggest playing without sound if you have a Windows Phone device.

I hope you enjoy it.

post-7102-0-06596500-1419891991_thumb.jp

It might be because I played on my computer and not on my phone, but it's still pretty rough around the edges. Sometimes releasing the tap right after tapping before the meter moves at all will cause the penguin to travel upwards really fast causing an instant game over. I also noticed that points are rewarded based on how many times you touch the ground and not how many hills you jump. You also might want to change the hill to something a little more ice themed, as it looks out of place as is IMHO. The game overall feels pretty bare and featureless, but considering it's a mobile game, I doubt you'll get too many complaints about that. Currently it feels more like a proof of concept than a full game, but again, this could also be because it's targeted towards mobile gamers, a niche I've never fit in too well with. I would personally add more obstacles and abilities for the penguin, but that might get overly complicated, I guess that'll be up to you.

tl;dr: Still needs work, but the graphics mostly look nice I guess.