Full games in your portfolio, it's a good idea?

ByR

I'm wondering if its better (for get more sponsorships) have demo versions or full version of your games in your portfolio. I really don't know if let players free access to your games can be something negative when a sponsor visit your page.

What do you think mates? 

Really i don't care if players play my games for free in my page, in fact, i like that people play my games, but if this is a reason for lose some sponsors, then maybe its a problem. I'm only want to know your opinion about use full games or demo versions in your portfolios :D

I want to know .. Have you made demo versions?

If so, Put them on your site and be sure to make the sponsors notice that they can buy the full one.

If not, ( And i prefer this ) Put the full game on your site and be sure that sponsors notice that it is available for licensing.

Hope i helped  ;)

Edited by Hadzy Hayman

No, non-exclusive license buyers don't care that the game is available elsewhere. They buy licenses to host on their network, for their players.

This is only an issue if you hope to sell exclusives or primary license (which works great in Flash world, but does not work in HTML5 world).

Yup. I can second this, what the others just said.

I also asked myself this question. I decided to release full versions of my games without any ads in it. Those versions I use if I contact sponsors because sometimes the games look much uglier if they have ads in it.

Another point is - that your games might get stolen easier. However, I would not worry too much about this risk.

And sometimes some portals even link to my games without paying/asking me. In that case I mail the portals about either remove the link or link to the version with ads in it.

Just my 2cents.

• 2 months later...

@becap:

Cannot say. I do not any research on that. Sometimes I check the server logs to make sure - games without ads are not linked by any third party tool without my permission. But that is really all. At the moment I guess this would not pay off for me. Guess it's better to invest my time in finding and contacting new potential sponsors and show them my games.

Just my 2cts ;-)

Most developers get less than 50 visits to their portfolio on a weekly basis, most less than 5, and generally 80% of them are publishers they contacted by mail and directed to their portfolio.

Publishers on the other hand... well, let's just say that a publisher I was speaking with this week serves several billion gaming sessions a year, every second they start several hundred gaming sessions. Their entire business is usually 90% exclusive-licensing, so they know that the games they buy are not exclusive, and therefore are hosted on other websites that also serve tens or hundreds of millions of monthly visitors, and still they purchase your game.

So no, they absolutely do not care *at all* about the few thousand monthly visitors to the average developer's website.

They might care if you put it on 10 different places like Kongregate for free though.