Why do sloped polylines in a tileset make a character bounce?

hollowdoor

I am testing Phaser's polyline handling for tilesets in a platformer.

Everything works as expected for flat surfaces, and undersides of surfaces, but there's a strange effect.

When the character jumps onto the surface of the a slope of a polyline the character bounces around like it's still jumping. After a bounce or two the character settles down on the sloped surface and slides down a little.

I'm using a json tilemap. There's a few unused variables because of testing, but this is the working code.

function preload () {        game.load.spritesheet('player', 'assets/player.png', 80, 50, 4);    game.load.image('tiles1', 'assets/tiles1.png'); // loading the tileset image    game.load.tilemap('map', 'assets/tiles2.json', null, Phaser.Tilemap.TILED_JSON); // loading the tilemap}function create () {    //game.world.setBounds(0, 0, 1600, 1200);        //	Enable p2 physics	game.physics.startSystem(Phaser.Physics.P2JS);		//  Turn on impact events for the world, without this we get no collision callbacks    game.physics.p2.setImpactEvents(true);    //gravity	game.physics.p2.gravity.y = 300;	//bounce    //game.physics.p2.restitution = 0.1;            map = game.add.tilemap("map");    map.addTilesetImage('tiles1'); // Preloaded tileset    layer = map.createLayer('Tile Layer 1'); // This is the default name of the first layer in Tiled    layer.resizeWorld(); // Sets the world size to match the size of this layer.        game.physics.p2.convertCollisionObjects(map, "ob1");    //map.setCollisionByExclusion([0], true, layer, true)            //game.physics.p2.convertTilemap(map, layer);        game.physics.p2.setBoundsToWorld(true, true, true, true, false);    player = game.add.sprite(game.world.centerX, game.world.centerY, 'player');    player.anchor.setTo(0.5, 0.5);    player.animations.add("run");            game.camera.follow(player);        game.physics.p2.enable(player);        player.body.fixedRotation = true;    //player.body.mass = 1.5;        cursors = game.input.keyboard.createCursorKeys();}var jumped = false;function update(){        var jump = checkIfCanJump(player),        run = jump;        if(!run && (player.body.velocity.y > -250 && player.body.velocity.y < 300)){        if(cursors.left.isDown)            player.body.velocity.x = -200;        else if(cursors.right.isDown)            player.body.velocity.x = 200;        else if(!jumped)            player.body.velocity.x = 0;        jumped = true;    }        if(run){        player.body.velocity.x = 0;        jumped = false;    }        if (cursors.left.isDown && run){        player.body.velocity.x = -250;        player.animations.play("run");//, 10, true);    }    else if (cursors.right.isDown && run)    {           player.body.velocity.x = 250;        player.animations.play("run", 10, true);    }else{                player.animations.stop();    }	    if(cursors.up.isDown && jump){// && player.body.touching.down){                        player.body.velocity.y = -300;    }}function checkIfCanJump(player) {    var yAxis = p2.vec2.fromValues(0, 1);    var result = false;    for (var i = 0; i < game.physics.p2.world.narrowphase.contactEquations.length; i++)    {        var c = game.physics.p2.world.narrowphase.contactEquations[i];        if (c.bodyA === player.body.data || c.bodyB === player.body.data)        {            var d = p2.vec2.dot(c.normalA, yAxis); // Normal dot Y-axis            if (c.bodyA === player.body.data) d *= -1;            if (d > 0.5) result = true;        }    }        return result;}

Neither the player nor the polygon have been assigned any kind of material, so they'll use the slightly spongy defaults. You probably want a zero restitution and quite low friction material to get it to slide properly, but it's game specific, so tweak until it feels right.

Thanks rich. I didn't know I needed material on the polygon. I must admit I don't know how to set material on one. I can set one on the player easy enough so I might try that. I'll have to look to see if there is an example on the main site for setting material on a polyline.

Also the polylines were in a concave shape. I tried a straight slope, and the player didn't bounce so that will help a little. I was just testing the extreme.

I didn't show those to you. Sorry for the omission.

A related issue is the polylines worked for collisions, but the polygons I tried let the player pass through. I don't know if polygons are just polylines linked together in the code sense, and not just the visual sense. I'm using "Tiled" to make the map.

I can't believe how easy it was. Thank you so much Phaser team for your hard work.

After looking at some different examples I was able to figure out how it all came together. Here's the example for any one that has the same problem as me.

var game = new Phaser.Game(800, 600, Phaser.AUTO, '', { preload: preload, create: create, update: update });var player,    cursors,    map;function preload () {        game.load.spritesheet('player', 'assets/player.png', 80, 50, 4);    game.load.image('tiles1', 'assets/tiles1.png'); // loading the tileset image    game.load.tilemap('map', 'assets/tiles2.json', null, Phaser.Tilemap.TILED_JSON); // loading the tilemap}function create () {    //game.world.setBounds(0, 0, 1600, 1200);        //	Enable p2 physics	game.physics.startSystem(Phaser.Physics.P2JS);		//  Turn on impact events for the world, without this we get no collision callbacks    game.physics.p2.setImpactEvents(true);    //gravity	game.physics.p2.gravity.y = 300;	//bounce    //game.physics.p2.restitution = 0.1;            map = game.add.tilemap("map");    map.addTilesetImage('tiles1'); // Preloaded tileset    layer = map.createLayer('Tile Layer 1'); // This is the default name of the first layer in Tiled    layer.resizeWorld(); // Sets the world size to match the size of this layer.        /*        The magic starts here.        The array of physics bodies to use material on.        */    var tile_bodies = game.physics.p2.convertCollisionObjects(map, "obj1");            game.physics.p2.setBoundsToWorld(true, true, true, true, false);    player = game.add.sprite(game.world.centerX, game.world.centerY, 'player');    player.anchor.setTo(0.5, 0.5);    player.animations.add("run");            game.camera.follow(player);        game.physics.p2.enable(player);        var kittyMaterial = game.physics.p2.createMaterial('playerMaterial', player.body),        tileMaterial = game.physics.p2.createMaterial('tileMaterial');    /*            Loop the array, and set the material.        */    for(var i=0; i<tile_bodies.length; i++){        tile_bodies[i].setMaterial(tileMaterial);    }        /*        Using contact material the player can have    precise physics interactions with tile objects.            */    var contactMaterial = game.physics.p2.createContactMaterial(playerMaterial, tileMaterial);        /*            Adjust the contactMaterial properties to your heart's content.    All kinds of shapes are now available through tile objects as physics bodies..            */    contactMaterial.friction = 0.3;     // Friction to use in the contact of these two materials.    contactMaterial.restitution = 1.0;  // Restitution (i.e. how bouncy it is!) to use in the contact of these two materials.    contactMaterial.stiffness = 1e7;    // Stiffness of the resulting ContactEquation that this ContactMaterial generate.    contactMaterial.relaxation = 3;     // Relaxation of the resulting ContactEquation that this ContactMaterial generate.    contactMaterial.frictionStiffness = 1e7;    // Stiffness of the resulting FrictionEquation that this ContactMaterial generate.    contactMaterial.frictionRelaxation = 3;     // Relaxation of the resulting FrictionEquation that this ContactMaterial generate.    contactMaterial.surfaceVelocity = 0;        // Will add surface velocity to this material. If bodyA rests on top if bodyB, and the surface velocity is positive, bodyA will slide to the right.        player.body.fixedRotation = true;    //player.body.mass = 1.5;        cursors = game.input.keyboard.createCursorKeys();}var jumped = false;function update(){        var jump = checkIfCanJump(player),        run = jump;        if(!run && (player.body.velocity.y > -250 && player.body.velocity.y < 300)){        if(cursors.left.isDown)            player.body.velocity.x = -200;        else if(cursors.right.isDown)            player.body.velocity.x = 200;        else if(!jumped)            player.body.velocity.x = 0;        jumped = true;    }        if(run){        player.body.velocity.x = 0;        jumped = false;    }        if (cursors.left.isDown && run){        player.body.velocity.x = -250;        player.animations.play("run");//, 10, true);    }    else if (cursors.right.isDown && run)    {           player.body.velocity.x = 250;        player.animations.play("run", 10, true);    }else{                player.animations.stop();    }	    if(cursors.up.isDown && jump){// && player.body.touching.down){                        player.body.velocity.y = -300;    }}function checkIfCanJump(player) {    var yAxis = p2.vec2.fromValues(0, 1);    var result = false;    for (var i = 0; i < game.physics.p2.world.narrowphase.contactEquations.length; i++)    {        var c = game.physics.p2.world.narrowphase.contactEquations[i];        if (c.bodyA === player.body.data || c.bodyB === player.body.data)        {            var d = p2.vec2.dot(c.normalA, yAxis); // Normal dot Y-axis            if (c.bodyA === player.body.data) d *= -1;            if (d > 0.5) result = true;        }    }        return result;}

The examples that solidified the concepts for me.

http://test.xapient.net/phaser/tilemapexample/index-p2.html

http://examples.phaser.io/_site/view_full.html?d=p2%20physics&f=contact+material.js&t=contact%20material

The documentation describing where the physics bodies come from.
http://docs.phaser.io/Phaser.Physics.P2.html#convertCollisionObjects