playground rotating spiral wanted

jerome

Hey

I'm looking for the demo of a rotating spiral in the playground (DK's one, I guess) but just can't retrieve it.

Does anyone remember the link in here ?

BTW : would be cool to enter just some words (metadata) in a playground session and then use a web search engine to retrieve easily user example URLs

Yeeaahh

tinkiou !

I'm just starting to create a kind of golden spiral (Fibbonacci based) for Wingnut, though the real golden spiral expands really too fast to look like a nautilus shell and I wanted to compare to your whirlpool expansion, which is far more linear, before finding a way to add some volume to this path

thanx again

Very nice!

You're unstoppable, J-man!  I can't stump you at all.  :)

Fibonacci can get out of control... especially when it comes to flowers.

http://tinyurl.com/qd79svk

Spherical Harmonic makes some pretty nice flower heads, but they are symmetrical.  Fibonacci flower heads look recursive and fractal.

Some maniac:  http://www.f-lohmueller.de/pov_anim/ani_3015d.htm

Now I'm not saying anyone should try to model such things with BJS.  Even the conch shell... I don't have any immediate needs for a model of one.  But I love math-generated models, no matter what they are, and I think others do, as well.  I am quite happy watching a master at work, and I am stealing borrowing every bit of code for my personal math-plotting learning folder.  :)

When I first saw your experiments, Jerome.... I said... "hmm, what can this guy do?"  Now, it is "What CAN'T this guy do?"

The only challenge I could think-up today... was the fib flower heads and pinecones and cauliflower and similar.  I don't know if we could ever simplify fib flowers enough to make it easy for users, but maybe.  If anyone could accomplish it, it's you, J.  But don't accidentally give yourself a brain tumor.  I like you as a person, too, and not just for your mesh wrangling expertise.

In brief, make sure you are eating and sleeping, okay?  :)  And... umm... thanks for the cool snail!  Well done!

I made a playground of it, so I could zip'n'steal it easier.  :)  http://playground.babylonjs.com/#13SSCO

In the bottom part of your orthogonalVectors function, you could use a 'var' in front of pp0, and then in the next line, you use pp.subtract, which should probably be pp0.subtract. 

I think you used a 'new' operator in one of your BABYLON.Mesh.CreateLines... which could be removed.  And I think I saw a 'new' operator on a Color3.Black() which is not needed.  No biggie.  I fixed them in the playground version, but your home version could use adjusting.

The playground showed me all those minor errors.  I wasn't being intelligent or anything like that.  It was.  :)  I need to update the Playground Tutorial to mention the little green marks along the right side of the playground editor... that tells where errors are located.  But that is a different story for a different day.

Thanks again!

Thank you for having ported this spiral into the playground (I think the link you copied in the post misses something : redirection to playground homepage).

Thank you to have corrected my many bugs too. I was so focused on the math aspect that I coded it quick and dirty reusing an old bugged template. I will take some time to adjust my pages. I didn't know about the playground green marks for error location.

That was one of the reasons I still prefer code my own editor on my webserver before copy/cut to the playground to show/ask something. Just personal preference.

But I really like the playground and I think it is a really powerful tool to learn/teach/try/show all what BJS can.

I'll give a try to fib flowers ... some day.  ;)

I have to admit the tube and the ribbon design made my brain grind some nights when I wish I coud sleep instead  :D

But I had much fun too doing this as it reminds me my early 3D cube plotting attemps on my ZX81 with its 64x48 wonderful screen resolution :lol:

and it has been a very long time I haven't had so much excitement in coding and discovering a new framework

hehe. (nod)  Link fixed, thanks for telling me about that.

Can the snail be conch-shelled... center-extruded?

http://www.thecreatorsworkshop.com/wp-content/uploads/Shell-conch-small-full.jpg

ZX81 :)  Yep, that was a ground breaker, for sure.  I didn't get rolling until the RadioShack Color Computer 2, but before that, I was certainly envious of the Timex-Sinclair owners.  Good fun.  Now look where you are.  Blazing trails in the 21st century, creating advanced geometry that would make your ZX81 cubes run for their mommies.  heh.

ahh, the memories, and the lack of memory.  Thanks for your contributions to our knowledge and to YOUR framework.  You can't escape, you know?   It's impossible.  You're a lifetime member of the team, and a BJS superhero.  You've made history!  YAY!

I thought of another challenge.  City/Apartment buildings with real (hole) windows.  I 'assembled' a two-side, one-window wall, once.  I almost got a tumor (it's assembled from 16 planes, erf!)  I then started a make-it-all-with-math version, but I abandoned it due to math tumor.  :/

But I bet somebody like you... could mathematically make walls and windows and doorways, that could be assembled into apartment buildings and skyskrapers.

There's lots to consider.  How many windows on this run?  What size?  How spaced?  UV's need to be correct for proper texturing of inside and outside.  There's the "shoulders" and "headers" (blue panels on the inside of the window hole), and the butt ends of the wall could be user-adjustable to 45 or 90 degree, depending upon if the wall ends at a corner. 

Universal hole-able wall maker.  Yeah!  (I know, I know, a universal "holey wall" is not really a "basic shape", but then neither is a torus knot, and we got that.)  :)

It's something to think about, in case your brain goes empty, Jerome.  Most gamers will make their buildings by placing a texture on the side of a box (non-holed windows), but others will want buildings with more reality.  Modeling buildings in Blender and similar... is ok.  But I think growing a holed-wall/building with math... would be far cooler.  Maybe more realistic, and definitely much faster to create.  Don't let me 'use' you, though. I have hopes, but don't let me control your directions.

Btw, Deltakosh's spiral doesn't really rotate, as you probably realized.  It's wave-u-lating :)  So cool.  Its the same thing I was trying to do with the cylinder... make a wave travel up and down through the height-subdiv diameters... real time (thru the rings).  Failed.  :)

I can't see your wall following the link but just a black screen with numbers in the top :(

So I can't figure out what you mean.

I'll check about the conc-shell center extrusion.

RadioShack Color Computer was sold under the name "Tandy TRS-80" here in France. I played a bit with it at a young german friend's house.

heeu, I'm no hero, neither super. I don't even feel as a real BJS contributor as long as I'm not able to do a decent PR :P

Huh, that link doesn't work in IE.  Go fig.  Sorry about that.  Got a firefox handy?  :/

I know nothing about PR's and GIT, but I DO know your codes/examples are forever preserved, one way or another.  I have every playground you ever made, zipped and stowed in a folder with your name on it, backed up twice on external drives.  And, I have everything bookmarked.  None of it is drifting away... I promise.  It's much too valuable to let anything stupid happen to any of it.

And I'm planning a statue of you for my front yard.  :)

Well darn!  hmmm.  I think I have some kind of lighting (normals) or UVs problem.

http://urbanproductions.com/wingy/babylon/walls/wallyPT/wallyPT04.htm  (new one, with freshness)

I view that fine in FF30 on Win7 on my crappy Walmart Dell Inspiron... but in IE...  it fails.  (black wall)  I changed the background to red, and I turned-on a basic ground plane. (yawn)

Jerome and others, could you view this (in any/all browsers) and report?  (only if not busy) 

See the wall?  Is the wall black?  (with a ground plane in the window hole)  Can you guys and gals see it against the red background?  Or does it look perfect, like it does in my FF30?  (flower pattern inside wall, brick pattern outside wall, blue edges)

Thanks for reports, from anyone, and ideas from smart folk.  The wall is actually made in this rather official-looking class file, but what idiot would look in THAT mess?  :)

*scratch scratch ponder ponder* 

Addenda:

How 'bout a couple of pictures? :)

http://urbanproductions.com/wingy/babylon/misc/wall01.jpg

http://urbanproductions.com/wingy/babylon/misc/wall02.jpg

(shows inside and outside of a single wall)

Basic inside-outside wall, with thickness, and hole (NOT using CSG boolean subtract to make the hole). 

But, how to allow users to set how many holes, what sizes, where placed, etc?  Dunno.  I was pondering percentages.  A wallObject might have a .holes array, and each hole consists of 4 values.  window start x% and y% (measured from upper left corner of wall).... and window end x% and y%.  No limit to the amount of holes stored in a wallObject.holes array.  *shrug*  Just thinkin'.