Why is there no "setBool"(and others) function in the ShaderMaterial-class?

Dinkelborg

OpenGL ES declares the following types as valid within the GLSL language:

• void
  • bool
  • int
  • float
  • vec2,vec3,vec4
  • bvec2,bvec3,bvec4
  • ivec2,ivec3,ivec4
  • mat2,mat3,mat4
  • sampler2D
  • samplerCube

why does the BABYLON.ShaderMaterial class only have set-functions for 

• Texture
  • Float, Floats
  • Color3,Color4
  • Vector2,Vector3

and

• Matrix

I need a boolean uniform in my shader, is there any way I can still set a value for it or could you please add the missing set-functions?

Both the engine and the Effect class have setBool function, you could use them, no?

btw - Javascript has no "integer" class. only number. So everything is a float :-) I guess you could cast the float in your shader after setting it. But I am no shader expert, can't really say how well this will work.

It's not like I cannot use a float, in fact I did just create a float and made its value 1.0 or 0.0 so that I can check in the shader for it, but that just isn't what floats are made for really... and I think a boolean is cheaper than a float, so if one day anyone wants to create a huge shader that needs - I don't know - 300 booleans it might make a difference if there is 300 float variables instead ...

I don't exactly understand how the engine's or effect-class' setBool function would help me set a boolean value in my shaderMaterial... ?

All I'm saying is, that GLSL knows more variable types as there are set-functions in the shaderMaterial-class, if the shaderMaterial class wants to make it easier for the user to set a value for a shader-uniform by automatically finding the uniform-index and handing the value to the shader, then it should do so for all available variable (or uniform) types. Otherwise there is a shortcut for like 5 variable types and if one wants to use one of the other 7 or so that don't have this shortcut, he has to go the long way anyways, so why even bother getting to know the shortcut?