Tween.js - Performance tips?

Schoening

I am using https://github.com/sole/tween.js/ for tweening.

I am making a snake game. For every piece I am creating a tween:

function Tween ( array_index ) {  var i = array_index; // targets[ i ]  this.tween = new TWEEN.Tween( values[ i ] )    .to( targets[ i ] , 500)    .onUpdate(function(){    snake[ i ].position.x = this.x;    snake[ i ].position.y = this.y;    snake[ i ].rotation.z = this.rotation;    })    .onComplete(function(){      checkTweenCompletion();    })};

But that could look like it is insane when thinking about mobile performance...

Can you think of alternatives? Because I can't... Every piece of my snake has to move to the previous piece position. I don't think I can do that in a single tween.

How many simultaneous tweens do you think you are talking about here? Unless there really are a lot of them I don't think it should actually be much of a problem. Have you done tests to check the performance impact? There are a few micro-optimizations you could do though. For example you could reduce impact on the garbage collector by re-using the same tween objects (ie assign one to each snake segment) rather than creating a new one each time you want to move. You could also cache values fetched from arrays in local variables like this

.onUpdate(function(){	var s = snake[ i ];    s.position.x = this.x;    s.position.y = this.y;    s.rotation.z = this.rotation;    })

but I still wouldn't expect to see a dramatic impact from these kinds of changes.