2D Shape extruder

jerome

Thanks,

I just posted .blend to Github https://github.com/BabylonJS/Extensions/tree/master/Dialog

I ended up with 135 characters (I forgot 0-9 and a bunch of symbols too).  Font2D.js is now 440.8 kb.  Font3D.js was to big to uglify on the site I was using.  As it came out of TOB it was 2.0 mb.

This is why people will probably gen their own fonts, instead of using the ones that will be in GitHub.  All you need is the delete key to rip out the stuff you will never use.

@Wingnut  The # of verts for that label, not including borders which are optional:

3D font - 5884

2D font - 1471

Keep in mind that already the "o" & "s" have been cloned.  You could add "all moss stalls grass" without a single vertex more.  This is quite scalable.  I am guessing 20k for a quite extensive 3D UI, & 5k for 2D.  If you are just using this at the beginning of the game, everything will get deleted.

I am also working on a LCD Digit object.  I want this for a control I need.  Could be put in other things too.  Trying to decide, if it should be one mesh with multi-materials controlled by the managing each material, or many meshes with the same material, controlled by the meshes visibility.

@Wingy

well, splines are just curves automatically "curved"... :D  : you give 3 or 4 points and the splining algo designs the nice curve passing thru these 4 points

It is something missing in BJS currently

as Bezier curve are missing too (you give starting and ending point + one or two control points and it designs the curve between start and end twisted by control points)

This is different from the Bezier interpolation (though it's the same maths under the hood) : the interpolator is about curving speed (or time) of animation, Bezier curve is just about point space positions.

I could PR a BezierCurve3D function easily (already coded in the playground), but I have no idea where to put in BJS files... AFAIK, there is no Curve tool/container.

The extrudator doesn't know anything about how the path (curve) to extrude along is designed. It just wants to be given an array of successive Vector3.

This array could be filled with Spline3D method, a Bezier3D method, a sinus method, or whatever we want (concatenation of a spline, then a line, then some random points, then a bezier :lol: )