Textures on planes: "bleeding edges"

jdurrant

I don't know if this is a bug, but I thought I'd post about it in case it's helpful to others. When I place an image texture on a plane, the bottom portion of the image "bleeds" into the top portion. To illustrate, I made a small PNG file that is entirely transparent, except the top row of pixels is red and the bottom row is blue. Here it is rendered on to a plane:

post-13453-0-63009000-1427566542.png

As you can see, there's a bit of blue in the red, and a bit of red in the blue.

To see if this problem was somehow related to transparency, I saved as a jpg too. Same issue:

post-13453-0-34521000-1427566559.png

To confirm my theory that this is somehow related to "texture wrapping," I padded the image with a 1px-thick margin on the top and bottom row of the image, and the problem vanished:

post-13453-0-44742600-1427566575.png

This isn't so big a deal in most contexts, but there are some cases when it causes noticeable problems. For example, I've created a grass field using lots of planes and transparent PNGs. Because the bottom row of pixels (not transparent) bleeds just a bit into the top row (fully transparent), a ton of lines end up hovering above the grass:

post-13453-0-07296400-1427566610.png

This is especially noticeable when the texture dimensions are small.

I've seen this "bleeding texture" issue in both Firefox and Chrome, on Mac OS X. I'd appreciate any additional suggestions beyond padding the textures with transparent margins. Thanks!