v3 access cached texture by name

terebentina

Hi,

I was wondering if there's any way to access a texture that was already loaded via PIXI.loader by its given resource name. 

The reason for this is because I'd prefer not to use the path to the image all over my code, in case I change that.

So if I load a resource like 

{name: 'foo', url: 'assets/img/foo.png'}

I would like to then use

PIXI.Sprite.fromName('foo');

instead of 

PIXI.Sprite.fromImage('assets/img/foo.png');

I know there's no "fromName" method in Sprite but is something like this doable without having access to the original resource object returned by the loader in the load() method?

When the loader completes all the resources it loaded are in `PIXI.loader.resources`, it also passes the resources to the complete callback you register:

PIXI.loader.add('key', 'someImage.png').load(function (loader, resources) {    // this will log "true", they are all the same:    console.log(PIXI.loader.resources === loader.resources === resources);    // resources is an object keyed by your names, you can get the loaded    // texture like:    console.log(resources.key.texture);});

• 6 months later...

I see false returned from this.

PIXI.loader.add('key', 'someImage.png').load(function (loader, resources) {    // this will log "true", they are all the same:    console.log(PIXI.loader.resources === loader.resources === resources);    // resources is an object keyed by your names, you can get the loaded    // texture like:    console.log(resources.key.texture);});

Also,  PIXI.loader is comming back undefined ... any clue what the issue might be?  I'm a PIXI noob, but am rather far along with Javascript, so this is kind of baffling.

hmm, dont know what to suggest, other than version (which is fine), you're not using any funky module loader that hides `PIXI` from global?

<script src="https://cdnjs.cloudflare.com/ajax/libs/pixi.js/3.0.8/pixi.min.js"></script>
// log output> PIXI< Object {VERSION: "3.0.8", PI_2: 6.283185307179586, RAD_TO_DEG: 57.29577951308232, DEG_TO_RAD: 0.017453292519943295, TARGET_FPMS: 0.06…}> PIXI.loader< f {baseUrl: "", progress: 0, loading: false, _progressChunk: 0, _beforeMiddleware: Array[0]…}

Although, thinking about it, you cant have `false` returned, if `PIXI.loader` is undefined it would throw when you try to call a method on an undefined type.