Updating scene without rendering

UP_AND_ATOM

Well what I'd like to do is draw lines on a different canvas based on the position of the 3D objects in the scene. I don't want to actually show the scene, but instead just use it to calculate the locations of objects. 

When I do what you suggested, it just hides the background of the scene but the objects are still rendering. Is there a method that does everything that scene.render() does, but without actually drawing to the canvas?

I am not sure if I understood the use-case, but I'll give it a shot :-)

You have two canvases, one is a webgl and the other is (probably) a simple 2d canvas. the one is on top of the other, probably using CSS. Why wouldn't you use CSS (display hidden for example) to hide the webgl canvas? 

I am not sure if the actual rendering takes so long. Never tested, but I understand that it is not needed, when you don't want to show anything on the webgl canvas.

The fastest solution I would have is this:

http://www.babylonjs-playground.com/#1WNTNW

Simply overwrite the render function of the rendering manager, and it won't render a thing. It will, however, follow the changes in the scene (open your console and move the camera with the arrows, you will see the values change).

I am not sure how helpful this is, it is actually just a hack :-)  Maybe DK can help more.

I want to update the location of each mesh that's visible by the camera, but avoid any overhead from lighting and rendering, since I'm not using Babylon.js to actually do any displaying. I just want to be able to get the x and y (screen) coords of each vertex of certain meshes. I'm familiar with requestAnimationFrame, but I haven't been able to figure out what exactly I need to update every frame to keep the Babylon.js simulation going. 

Does that make sense?