[SOLVED] Wait or not to wait Phaser 3.0

blacksnowgames

Hello Comunity:

Some days ago, I bought the book "Discover Phaser" by Thomas Palef. The Phaser version used on the book is 2.0.5.

I've just seen on this forum that Phaser 3 is under development and maybe will be release this year. The question is simple,  Is it worth to learn Phaser 2.0.5 or Should I wait for Phaser 3?

Is there any estimate when Phaser 3 will be released? I'm not sure if wait for it or not. Advices?. 

Thanks

blacksnowgames

Yes it's worth it - because the core API that Phaser 3 uses won't be drastically different to Phaser 2.

Also I'm not expecting we'll release until late this year anyway.

How difficult will it be for people developing in Phaser 2 to port over to Phaser 3? I'm not looking forward to that to be honest. Is my game code going to need to be written for Phaser 3? 

While we intend to keep the API as similar as possible, we're not going to restrict what we could do with Phaser 3 to ensure this - so yes, it's likely to be quite an effort to recode a complex Phaser 2 game into Phaser 3. Far better to just finish it and start from fresh on something new.

While we intend to keep the API as similar as possible, we're not going to restrict what we could do with Phaser 3 to ensure this - so yes, it's likely to be quite an effort to recode a complex Phaser 2 game into Phaser 3. Far better to just finish it and start from fresh on something new.

I have to say that's a little unsettling considering I didn't plan to finish development of my game for 6 moths to a year. Suppose I could just stick with Phaser 2 if porting proves to be too much work. But then again, Phaser 3 looks really promising. 

Yes it's worth it - because the core API that Phaser 3 uses won't be drastically different to Phaser 2.

Also I'm not expecting we'll release until late this year anyway.

Thanks rich, coming the answer from you is very valuable.

At the same time - don't use waiting for Phaser 3 as an excuse not to develop games in the meantime! :)

You are right rsadwick, No more excuses, today I'm gonna start.

Thanks very much for your opinions,

You'll see me more ofter around here

blacksnowgames