Video playback in v3?

rohde

I'm a bit of a Pixi-noob, set with the task of maintaining a Pixi-based solution.
From what I've read, upgrading from v2 to v3 should be a walk in the park. This has not been my experience so far (possibly because of my limited Pixi skills).

The problem I'm encountering at the moment is getting a video to play. Using Pixi.VideoTexture worked fine. But when I attempt to use the new Pixi.VideoBaseTexture I get this for every call to render().

TypeError: this.children[i].updateTransform is not a functionat Container.23.Container.updateTransform (pixi.js:6904:26)at CanvasRenderer.43.CanvasRenderer.render (pixi.js:12408:12)at animate (index.html:31:15)
Below is the simple test that does not work. I have tried using both fromVideo and fromUrl.
Does anyone have any working samplecode for using VideoBaseTexture?
The doc at http://pixijs.github.io/docs/PIXI.VideoBaseTexture.html points to "the 'deus' demo", which is a v2 sample using Pixi.VideoTexture, and so is every other sample I have found.

<!doctype html><div id="samplevideo"></div><video id="videoelement" width="200" height="200" style="display: none;">  <source src="sample.mp4" type="video/mp4"></video><script src="pixi.js"></script><script>//var videoTexture = PIXI.VideoBaseTexture.fromUrl('sample.mp4', PIXI.SCALE_MODES.DEFAULT);var videoTexture = PIXI.VideoBaseTexture.fromVideo(document.getElementById("videoelement"), PIXI.SCALE_MODES.DEFAULT);var imageTexture = new PIXI.Sprite.fromImage("sample.jpg");var stage = new PIXI.Container();stage.addChild(videoTexture);var rendererOptions = {    antialiasing:true,    transparent:true,    resolution:1};var renderer = new PIXI.CanvasRenderer(200, 200, rendererOptions);document.getElementById("samplevideo").appendChild(renderer.view);function animate() {  requestAnimationFrame (animate);  try  {     renderer.render(stage);  }  catch(err)  {  console.error(err);  }}requestAnimationFrame (animate);</script>

1) You cannot add textures to a container to be rendered, they only describe images for sprites which are then added to the stage.

Meaning this is invalid: stage.addChild(videoTexture);

2) There is a difference between a Texture and a BaseTexture. A BaseTexture is a source of a texture (image, video, canvas, etc). A Texture is a frame of that source. A Sprite is a positional object that tells how to draw a texture.

Your video texture needs to be a texture, not a base texture and you need to put your video texture into a sprite, then add that to the stage:

var videoTexture = PIXI.Texture.fromVideoUrl('smaple.mp4'); // notice I am using the Texture method, not the base texture methods.var videoSprite = new PIXI.Sprite(videoTexture);stage.addChild(videoTexture);
http://pixijs.github.io/docs/PIXI.Texture.html

Ahh, ok, I simply searched for "video" for something to replace my VideoTexture. But the Texture class being generalized to also handle video is a nice detail actually.

Thanks for explaining.

Well that isn't exactly true, it worked that way in v2 as well the API was just confusing. BaseTexture is a source of something to draw: image, canvas, video, etc. The Texture is a frame into that source. Texture doesn't "deal with videos" at all, it doesn't deal with any source. The BaseTextures do that.