Particles: Add fire emitter for each molotov in group (demo included)

solegrina

J06BFMU.png

Hello!

I'm currently developing a game mechanic of molotov throwing. The idea is to have a fire trail for each molotov thrown, however I'm not exactly sure on how to continue with it. I was using a single emitter approach, then reviving it each time a molotov was in air. However, I have found the following problems with this approach:

• I have to set the opacity to 0 each time I kill the emitter, otherwise the particles trail doesn't disappear and remains static as in this pic.
  • When I revive the emitter, it's possible to see some particles coming from the last molotov position.

To try solving that, I would like to ask: Is it possible to include an emitter for each molotov in the molotovPool? How would it affect performance? Is there another way to achieve the desired effect? Thanks in advance :)

Click here to check the demo and here's the relevant part of the code:

// ...create: function() {    // ...    // Emitter creation    this.fire_emitter = this.add.emitter(0, 0, 400);    this.fire_emitter.makeParticles('spritesheet', [21,22,23,24]);    this.fire_emitter.gravity = 700;    this.fire_emitter.setAlpha(0.9, 0.7, 500);    this.fire_emitter.setScale(0.9, 0.2, 0.7, 0.2, 500);    this.fire_emitter.setRotation(0, 90);    // Molotovs creation    this.molotovPool = this.game.add.group();    for(var i = 0; i < this.NUMBER_OF_MOLOTOVS; ++i) {    	var molotov = this.game.add.sprite(0, 0, 'spritesheet', 20);    	this.molotovPool.add(molotov);    	molotov.anchor.setTo(0.5, 0.5);    	this.game.physics.enable(molotov, Phaser.Physics.ARCADE);    	molotov.body.gravity.y = this.GRAVITY;    	molotov.kill();    }    // ...},update: function() {    // ...        // Destroy molotov when it collides with the ground    this.physics.arcade.collide(this.molotovPool, this.lCollision, function(molotov, lCollision) {	this.fire_emitter.alpha = 0;	this.fire_emitter.kill();	console.log(this.fire_emitter.total);	molotov.kill();    }, null, this);    // When player clicks a molotov is thrown    if(this.NUMBER_OF_MOLOTOVS > 0 && this.game.input.activePointer.isDown) {	this.throwMolotov();    }    // For each molotov alive (in the air) update the velocity and the position of    // the emitter. I used an example from Phaser's page.    this.molotovPool.forEachAlive(function(molotov) {	var px = molotov.body.velocity.x;	var py = molotov.body.velocity.y;	px *= -1;	py *= -1;	this.fire_emitter.minParticleSpeed.set(px, py);	this.fire_emitter.maxParticleSpeed.set(px, py);	this.fire_emitter.x = molotov.x;	this.fire_emitter.y = molotov.y;    }, this);    // ...},throwMolotov: function() {    this.fire_emitter.revive();    this.fire_emitter.x = this.player.x;    this.fire_emitter.y = this.player.y;    this.fire_emitter.start(false, 300, 3);    this.fire_emitter.alpha = 1;    // ...}// ...

Aha! I thought that the on attribute had the same effect that killing the emitter. It looks much better now, thanks, Outrider! :)

However it stills not working when, for example, you throw multiple molotovs at a time. The fire trail only follows one of them. This is why I'm thinking on how to attach one emitter to each molotov in the pool...

You'll probably have to create a new emitter for each molotov, then on top of turning it off you'll want to use a destroy just for the sake of clean up.

So move your:  this.fire_emitter = this.add.emitter(0, 0, 400);

Into your upgrade method this.molotovPool.forEachAlive

ALTERNATIVELY

You might also be able to do the same for your molotov Group in the create function. (Make a Group of Emitters I mean)

Lemme know what you do in the end and what works :) Glad the on and off worked for you.

It worked!! Thanks a lot, Outrider.

I created a fire_emitter for each molotov not in the beggining, but when throwing it. So I did molotov.fire_emitter = this.add.emitter(...). Then it's just a matter of updating each fire_emitter position in the update function. Here's the current version.