Blend modes

fenomas

Hi fenomas,

You can have a mesh displayed additively with this:

mesh.registerBeforeRender(function () { engine.setAlphaMode(BABYLON.Engine.ALPHA_ADD); } );

This is the only way to do it currently. Using a ShaderMaterial won't help you changing the blend mode, since you won't have access to the background color in the fragment shader.

Ah, thanks! Works like a charm.. makes you wonder if it shouldn't just be an option on material.

Incidentally  it looks like I also have to add a registerAfterRender to set the mode back again, right? If I don't other transparent objects in my scene seem to be affected. Setting it back to ALPHA_COMBINE seems to fix this, though I'm not sure if that's bulletproof.

Yeah... this is not handled incredibly well by the engine. You could also remove the registered function (don't know how, though). I think the setting is reset to ALPHA_COMBINE at the beginning of the render loop.

A setting on the mesh would be easy to add for sure! Not sure what DK had in mind for this though. Also, it could be nice to have more choices than just COMBINE and ADD. This is a summary of what's possible using blend modes: http://i.imgur.com/yMX2wZJ.jpg

Done!

https://github.com/BabylonJS/Babylon.js/commit/a6103f47cdcb8d561c6070120157a046d7cb3c76:

* Added material.alphaMode (can be set to BABYLON.Engine.ALPHA_ADD or  BABYLON.Engine.ALPHA_COMBINE)

If you want to add more mode, feel free to submit a PR for this:

https://github.com/BabylonJS/Babylon.js/blob/master/src/babylon.engine.ts#L1432

Haha, glorious! Popped this into my scene and it works like a charm.

It would also be great if someone wants to add more blend modes. Personally I don't know enough to know which ones would be useful.

Follow up question: for a mesh with vertex colors and an ambient texture, rendered in ALPHA_ADD, it seems that vertex colors are used but vertex alpha is not. Vertex alpha seems to work normally with ALPHA_COMBINE so I'd thought it would work with ADD too. Is this unavoidable, or fixable, or am I missing something?

ADD will add (!!) vertex color and destination color

No need for snark. :(  Firstly, to be precise ADD presumably doesn't add the vertex color, but rather some complicated combination of vertex color, emissive texture color, texture alpha, other material colors, etc, etc. I had supposed that vertex alpha would fit into that combination somewhere, before the blend mode occurs, and then "material.alpha" would be used for the final blend operation. I guess that's not the case, maybe it's the other way around?

Either way, in other contexts (photoshop, svg, etc), blend modes normally operate on alpha-multiplied color values. So if vertex alpha is the alpha used for the COMBINE blend operation, it would probably make sense to premultiply it before the ADD blend operation. If that's possible, I mean.