Convert WebGLTexture to Pixi.Texture?

Sebastian S

I'm returning a RenderTarget object from my Filters. I would like to use the Texture from the render target and apply it onto a Sprite Object.

My Code:

myBlurYFilter.renderCallback = (renderTarget) => {  this.mySprite.texture = renderTarget.texture;};

Added a callback function to the ApplyFilter function code:

if(this.renderCallback !== null)            this.renderCallback(renderTarget)

Resulting ApplyFilter function:

BlurYFilter.prototype.applyFilter = function (renderer, input, output, clear){    var shader = this.getShader(renderer);    this.uniforms.strength.value = Math.abs(this.strength) / 4 / this.passes * (input.frame.height / input.size.height);    if(this.passes === 1)    {        renderer.filterManager.applyFilter(shader, input, output, clear);        if(this.renderCallback !== null)            this.renderCallback(output)    }    else    {        var renderTarget = renderer.filterManager.getRenderTarget(true);        var flip = input;        var flop = renderTarget;        for(var i = 0; i < this.passes-1; i++)        {            renderer.filterManager.applyFilter(shader, flip, flop, true);           var temp = flop;           flop = flip;           flip = temp;        }        renderer.filterManager.applyFilter(shader, flip, output, clear);        if(this.renderCallback !== null)            this.renderCallback(renderTarget)                renderer.filterManager.returnRenderTarget(renderTarget);    }};

How can I convert the WebGLTexture Object to a PIXI.Texture Object so that I can use it on a Sprite?

Create a sprite, apply the filter to it and render that sprite to a renderTexture. Then use that render texture as the texture for drawing in your scene.

That will basically render the filter to a framebuffer and then you can use that framebuffer as a texture.

var sprite = new Sprite(someTexture);var renderTexture = new RenderTexture(renderer, width, height);// apply the filtersprite.filters = [myFilter];// render to a texturerenderTexture.render(sprite);// display it in the scenevar sceneSprite = new Sprite(renderTexture);stage.addChild(sceneSprite);

@xerver I find your solution elegant, and it does work! 

However, My app requires about on average 20 RenderTextures to be created per second for about 3 seconds. And it needs to run on a mobile device. I have found that using RenderTextures in this way degrades the performance on a mobile device beyond the point of what a Filter will.

So I thought if there is a way to directly apply the Filters output onto the Sprite, we could eliminate the overhead incurred by creating RenderTextures so rapidly. 

However, My app requires about on average 20 RenderTextures to be created per second for about 3 seconds

Created? Or rendered? You can call render() on a render texture repeatedly, do you actually need 20 different textures, or can you just use one that you update?