IE11 software rendering

HemingwayGames

Hi there,

I'm having some performance issues with IE on win7. As a result I've dropped IE support for my game.

It appears IE 11 is disabling webGL and rendering with a software renderer. 

IE 11 console:

• WEBGL11258: Temporarily switching to software rendering to display WebGL content.
  • WEBGL11135: getContext: Context attribute premultipliedAlpha:false is not currently supported

This issue was also discussed on html5gamedevs.com back in 2013: http://www.html5gamedevs.com/topic/2563-internet-explorer-11-webgl-bug/

Is anyone else experiencing this issue (or is just me because I'm missing a patch)? I heard that win8 IE11 is OK so maybe this is a win7 IE11 issue.

It seems the best way around this is to force canvas rendering for E11.

Since we're on the topic of IE, I'm curious to also know what IE versions you are supporting. I'm thinking of just supporting IE11 with canvas (if I can get reasonable performance)...

Thanks

This is hardware-specific, not a blanket issue that always affects IE. All browsers have hardware blacklists, and if your graphics drivers are known to be unstable, it turns off WebGL support. Some browsers (IE, Chrome on Windows) actually fall back to a software-rendered WebGL implementation in this case so content can keep working, but slowly. If you're rendering a 2D game, canvas2d is likely faster. So for this case you can pass the "failIfMajorPerformanceCaveat": true parameter to the context attributes when you're getting your WebGL context. Browsers quite rightly consider a software renderer as a "major performance caveat", and will fail to return a WebGL context in that case. Then your code can fall back to canvas2d, which may still be GPU-accelerated. I don't know if Pixi does this, it sounds like it doesn't and it really should, but that's how the C2 engine works.