Camera Shaking Plugin for your use

CodeToWin

The question of how to shake the camera in action games has come up a few times. I wanted to learn how to create plugins for Phaser, so I made a camera shaking plugin.

You can see it in action here

You can find the code here

Modes allowed:

shake up and down 

shake left to right

shake both up/down, left/right with a fixed amplitude

shake both up/down, left/right with a random amplitude (up to +/- a maximum)

You can also combine increasing or decreasing amplitude with the above camera shaking modes.

This is free for you to use, abuse, or modify at your whim. Let me know what you think

Here's mine:

'use strict';function ScreenShake(game, parent) {  Phaser.Plugin.call(this, game, parent);  this.game.shaker = this;  this.shaking = false;  this.shakeDurationMs = 0;  this.shakeStrength = 0;}ScreenShake.prototype = Object.create(Phaser.Plugin.prototype);ScreenShake.prototype.constructor = ScreenShake;ScreenShake.prototype.update = function() {  if (this.shaking) {    this.shakeDurationMs = Math.max(0, this.shakeDurationMs - this.game.time.physicsElapsedMS);    if (this.deltaX) {      this.game.camera.x -= this.deltaX;    }    if (this.deltaY) {      this.game.camera.y -= this.deltaY;    }    this.deltaX = this.game.rnd.integerInRange(-this.shakeStrength, this.shakeStrength);    this.deltaY = this.game.rnd.integerInRange(-this.shakeStrength, this.shakeStrength);    this.game.camera.x += this.deltaX;    this.game.camera.y += this.deltaY;    if (this.shakeDurationMs == 0) {      this.shaking = false;      // Reset the world and camera bounds.      this.game.world.setBounds(this.boundsCache.x, this.boundsCache.y, this.boundsCache.width, this.boundsCache.height);    }  }};ScreenShake.prototype.start = function(durationMs, strength) {  this.shaking = true;  this.shakeDurationMs = durationMs || 2000;  this.shakeStrength = strength || 5;  this.boundsCache = Phaser.Utils.extend(false, {}, this.game.world.bounds);  this.game.world.setBounds(    this.boundsCache.x - this.shakeStrength, this.boundsCache.y - this.shakeStrength,    this.boundsCache.width + this.shakeStrength, this.boundsCache.height + this.shakeStrength);};module.exports = ScreenShake;

It's built using CommonJS (hence the module.exports). One thing I really like about it is it keeps the shake centered on where the camera is supposed to be instead of drifting away over time. It also changes world bounds to accommodate the shake, if needed.

I'll be writing tutorials soon. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Mine has this weird bug. If the camera is following a sprite and the sprite gets close to the corners of the world then there's not a lot of room to shake. Even though it expands the world bounds the camera just eats the space back up. Not sure how I'm gonna fix it yet.